Upgrade Tradeoffs

• I am using the CR-6 SE daily and other than the quality issues (switch failure, loose screws, etc) it is producing prints.

I have been watching the Firmware topic and my impression is that they are still issuing upgrades with plenty of issues and the process is convoluted and poorly documented. As such I decided to hold off for a while.

Any particular reason do dive in or is the cautious approach the right one?

My Ender is upgraded to Marlin which works better than the stock firmware. I assume that is not an option with this machine(?)

• @johnelle said in Upgrade Tradeoffs:

My Ender is upgraded to Marlin which works better than the stock firmware. I assume that is not an option with this machine(?)

They all use Marlin, Creality just loves to violate the GPL license and not release source code, but none of their FDM printers run some Creality-developed propietary firmware, it's all Marlin.

Biggest reason to update to the 2.x versions are two big bugfixes:

1. when stopping a print during the first layer on older FWs, the printer will drive the nozzle into the bed
    2. older versions store all EEPROM configuration on the SD card, and power-loss recovery data on the EEPROM. Writing to EEPROM is slow, the SD is removable, so this makes little sense. 2.x swaps this around to make sense, which also eliminates the constant pauses during printing when writing PLR data, that cause zits and other surface imperfections

Personally I just took the community firmware, made the changes to Marlin that I like and have been running that since I got the printer.

the process is convoluted and poorly documented

The documentation sucks, but it's not actually very complicated or error-prone, the LCD is a PitA to update, but if you follow the procedure 100%, it's fairly straight-forward. (You need to have the right files in the right folder on the card, the card needs to be formated correctly, pretty much)

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.