Ender 3 Max - Marlin Configuration?

• I know the Ender 3 Max is new but it looks like things like Cura profiles and firmware configurations are lagging behind. The Cura profile is minor because I think all I have to do is adjust the bed size. However, the firmware configuration is a kind of annoying or is this based off of another configuration I can use?

• My max arrived last Friday and overall had good prints out of box. I checked the board and it's a 4.2.2 also. So yes it's a4988 on z/e and tmc 2208 I think on xy. Not particularly noisy though.
    As for firmware, th3d already has a unified firmware up on his site. You'll have to complie yourself though depending on the board you have. Tim said in his live stream last week he had received both .2 and .7 boards on this model. I used his 4.2.2 with no issues, works very well and a few extra features over stock. Fine for me as the only upgrade I plan on is replacing the pfte with capricorn which I did before I even started. I might look at skr e3 on this as I had excellent results on an old cr10 mini with that.

To be honest it's a really good printer. I think the qa has improved a lot since I bought my mini in mid 2018. It's kind of a hybrid between cr10 and ender but honestly, it's pretty good, you're looking at a better build plate, board and two fans, filament sensor and easy support for bl touch. All of these are a challenge for cr10. My only issue with creality is lack of upgrade paths for existing users. I bought a Prusa at the same time and all of their upgrades still apply. It would be nice to see upgrade lights for legacy users. That said I paid 245 Euro for the every max... Bringing the mini to same bed and similar board would have cost me half that plus effort to drill holes for the aluminium profile. A dual z upgrade path
    would be REALLY nice for this model.

• @jerry3dprint21 I'm guessing its a stop gap to fill the space left where the CR10 used to be as there seems to be very few of these currently available as all the new CR10 models are priced 100-200 and up and well beyond the price that made CR10 so popular in the first place. The firmware I am surprised by - I checked out the Marlin site and there seems to be no example configs at all, which suggests to me that CR haven't yet made the detail available. Since it seems to be largely a bigger modification of the original Ender its surprising. However, its good that extras like bigger memory, plugin space for a bl touch, and filament sensor have come to the budget big plates. Adding any of these to the original CR10 was an absolute pain.

I would like to see marlin configs though - it looks like a good printer for modding, and suspect the bed is same in size as the original CR10.

• @redoctober45 said in Ender 3 Max - Marlin Configuration?:

I know the Ender 3 Max is new but it looks like things like Cura profiles and firmware configurations are lagging behind. The Cura profile is minor because I think all I have to do is adjust the bed size. However, the firmware configuration is a kind of annoying or is this based off of another configuration I can use?

In my humble opinion: the difficulties encountered on the right or on the left are linked to the motherboard ...
    In theory the Ender 3 Max is equipped with a Creality v4.2.2.
    I suspect that the assembly of these cards does not have the rigor that one would expect from the electronics industry ...
    Reading various forums, for some users their printer works fine only if the firmware is based on Marlin Creality v4.2.2 version.
    For others like me, using version 4.2.2 only causes malfunctions, malfunctions solved by recompiling the firmware from the Marlin v4.2.7 files ...
    It seems that some Creality cards marked 4.2.2 are equipped with the electronic components of 4.2.7 ... otherwise how to explain this phenomenon?

Moreover, I wonder why in 2021 we find these printers equipped with limit switches by mechanical contact when using magnetic contacts would be much more reliable!
    The technique of the plate supporting the Bed could also be greatly improved without significantly increasing the public selling price ... for example a metal plate, and a hall effect sensor on the print head would solve the eternal problem of leveling ... this type of sensor costs around € 4 in Europe (public price) ...
    Maybe the developers of Creality will read this post ... 🙂

• @redoctober45

I agree. The Max doesn’t support the 4.2.7 silent board from what I’ve gathered. I’m not sure why creality is doing putting in a 4.2.2 board. Other things as well are build platform options and other upgrades. Lagging way behind since the Max has been out for a while now. Maybe the Max isn’t going to be successful? Not sure.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.