Ender 5 Pro with 4.2.2 board and BLTouch - Questions

• I have an Ender 5 Pro with the 4.2.2 mainboard. I've been compiling my own Marlin 2.0.x (bugfix) firmwares and that's been going great.
    I just received a BLTouch 3.1, without the breakout board (since the 4.2.2 has a BLTouch header).

Most of the online guides suggest plugging the three wires into the BLTouch header, but then plugging the 2 probe signal wires into the Z-Endstop in place of the existing one.

Is the an advantage one way or the other in which way to install it?

For the firmware settings this is what I've enabled:

#define BLTOUCH
    #define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET { -42, -12, -3 }
    #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR
    #define LCD_BED_LEVELING
    #define Z_SAFE_HOMING

I've loaded that firmware in, but I'm struggling with the next steps. For example how to set the Z Probe Offset.

Has anybody else out there with the 4.2.2 board plugged all 5 BLTouch wires into the BLTouch header and left the existing Z Endstop in place?

• What you are describing makes absolutely no sense to me in so many ways. If you do not need the breakout board why would you use it at all? And why in the world would you want to leave the existing Z endstop feed wires in place? I should think that would totally defeat the BLT - but what do I know?

I have the same hardware as you do and I don't see any way of not using the breakout board. There is no 3 wire connector on my mainboard - any way. And at the same time - to answer one of your questions - there is no 2 wire connector on the pinboard that came with my Creality BLT. So for me it is a no brainer because there is only one place for each of those two connections. The 3 wire connector has to go to the breakout and the 2 wire has to replace the Z endstop wires.

I don't think you would see the BLT functions on the LCD display if that 3 wire connector didn't somehow get routed to the display. And it seems to me the BLT Z axis control wouldn't work if you didn't replace the factory Z endstop feed wires.

FWIW, I don't see any use for the Z Probe Offset function. I've tried it and there's no way no how to use that adjustment knob to get the bed anywhere near the nozzle. Baffled.......

I just ignore it. Bed Leveling works without it. I'm guessing the Creality Auto Home functionality obviates the need for the Z Probe Offset? it does appear to. But what do I know? I am not building my own firmware.

I understand that BLTs from different manufacturers have different features and functions. Yours may be different from the Creality that I purchased.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.