EEPROM.DAT

• Trying to understand how Creality is using the eeprom.dat file now found on the SD card. If I insert a blank SD card, this file is automatically written to it just by turning on the printer waiting for it to boot up and then shutting down. Always the same information EEPROM 4KB Date modified 1/1/2000 1:00AM. When I wrote Creality Tech support regarding what steps were needed to save Z-Offset and leveling data then wrote back:

"32-bit motherboard installation bltouch does not need to save or initialize operation, set the Z offset value, then the operation will be automatically leveled, and the printer will be automatically saved to SD."

If someone could decipher the above reply, it might be helpful in understanding what's going on with this leveling data. Does the Resume Printing Function also play into use of this file?

• Using the SD card for storing Auto-Leveling values was also done on the CR-6 SE but it may have gotten changed to mainboard EEprom with a firmware release last year. So after reading that I'm hoping that Creality choses to do the same for the Ender-6.

• @telephasic I was asking a question about when data gets written and see I forgot the question mark, but I can't argue anything you've said either.

Let me ask one more question and that is, when printing begins, does the fine tuning of the Z axis after laying down the first layer, also change the Z-Offset value stored on the SD card?

• @Hankster said in EEPROM.DAT:

Guess I need to move my octoprint to the Ender-6.

It would help with experimenting like this. i'll just repeat about the warnings of backpowering and overvoltage frying pi's in the past. I don't know if it is actually an issue on my machine, but rather than trying to measure during all scenarios, i just did not connect the 5v USB line to be on the safe side.

So exiting the Leveling menu is when data gets saved to eeprom.dat. I watched a YouTube video of Beanie's Hobbies, and he indicated pressing the HOME icon between the Z+ and Z- saved the settings. The video that Creality posted of the BLTouch install also has the user pressing the HOME button following the Z-Offset setting. I've documented the instructions for performing the bed leveling sequences and would be glad to share them with you if for no other reason but to double check my understanding. I don't want to post something here that may have a lot of errors in it though. Is there a private mode in this forum?

I should say I don't know the exact moment z-offset or bed data get written to file, and whether they go to RAM first before the file, or what... the Home and Exit buttons (in Leveling menu) don't seem to be connected to the actual saving. If I change the Z with the up/down buttons, don't hit Home or Exit, and power off/on, then that Z is still remembered next time. But hitting the Home is a good way to verify it's been set correctly and can go back to the exact same spot after probing, so it's probably a good idea to do it before leaving anyway.

As for bed level measurements, I just tried Measuring again. The new mesh could be recalled right after it's done, also without hitting Home or Exit. Also after powering off (still without hitting Home/Exit from Leveling) and back on, the measurements were still there.

There was that youtube video from Creality After-Sale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWjK9ECebMA that worked for me. Only they didn't mention that their firmware writes to SD card🤦 , and they didn't explain what Auto Leveling is - just instructed to turn it on.

• Guess I need to move my octoprint to the Ender-6.

So exiting the Leveling menu is when data gets saved to eeprom.dat. I watched a YouTube video of Beanie's Hobbies, and he indicated pressing the HOME icon between the Z+ and Z- saved the settings. The video that Creality posted of the BLTouch install also has the user pressing the HOME button following the Z-Offset setting. I've documented the instructions for performing the bed leveling sequences and would be glad to share them with you if for no other reason but to double check my understanding. I don't want to post something here that may have a lot of errors in it though. Is there a private mode in this forum?

• @Hankster said in EEPROM.DAT:

Trying to understand how Creality is using the eeprom.dat file now found on the SD card. If I insert a blank SD card, this file is automatically written to it just by turning on the printer waiting for it to boot up and then shutting down. Always the same information EEPROM 4KB Date modified 1/1/2000 1:00AM. When I wrote Creality Tech support regarding what steps were needed to save Z-Offset and leveling data then wrote back:

"32-bit motherboard installation bltouch does not need to save or initialize operation, set the Z offset value, then the operation will be automatically leveled, and the printer will be automatically saved to SD."

If someone could decipher the above reply, it might be helpful in understanding what's going on with this leveling data. Does the Resume Printing Function also play into use of this file?

Yeah that language barrier can be frustrating sometimes huh! Reading that, I wouldn't know what steps to take either.

But that EERPOM file on SD card should contain any Z-offset you set in the Leveling menu, as well as the bed mesh (if measured).

The Z-offset is set by the up/down in the Leveling menu. You should get the distance right (should be just rubbing a sheet a paper), using the Aux Level button to help fine-tune the 5 places. When you leave the Leveling menu change settings in the Leveling menu, however you leave it is considered 0. That gets saved in that file on the SD, assuming you have one inserted. You can test it by homing from the Move menu. The bed will park with a bit of a gap, but you can move it until it shows Z=0. This should be at that same place as you set in the Leveling menu. When I didn't have the SD card in, Z=0 defaulted back to a safe gap to the nozzle.

When you do a Measuring in the Leveling menu, that will measure and also save the results in the same file on SD. Automatic Leveling option makes it measure the bed again before every print. If Automatic Leveling is turned off, the measurement values will all be zero when you go into the Leveling menu later, but there should still be a mesh saved on the card. The measurements can be displayed on a terminal like octoprint with command M420 T0 V. I am still trying to figure out if and exactly how it uses the mesh to compensate during printing though.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.