Ender-5 Plus : The nozzle never stops extruding

• Hello,
    I am totally new in 3D printing. I've got a new Ender-5 Plus for 3 days now. I had a hard time to catch what is a home level and aux leveling. I thing I've got it now.

But I have a problem : it's very difficult to adjust the levels (home level with the 0.2 mm gauge, or aux leveling with a sheet of paper). I saw that it is better to do these adjustments with a hot bed and a hot nozzle. But as soon as the nozzle temperature is above 180 °C (200 for PLA), it does not stop extruding a thin filament, even if it is not printing. Hence, the nozzle is never clean and the adjustments are wrong. See the 3 attached pictures.

I am in touch with the Creality support and I am waiting for an answer from them. Would someone have any clue about what could be wrong and what to do to fix this up ?

Thank you for reading me.
    Best Regards,
    Alain Reiner

extruding_3.jpg extruding_2.jpg extruding_1.jpg

• @Paweł said in Ender-5 Plus : The nozzle never stops extruding:

I had also the first contact with Ultimaker Cura slicer and it's indeed far more powerful than the Creality one.

I have trouble calling it Creality Slicer. Maybe they had an agreement that they are allowed to take an old version of Cura and put a different name and logo on it, maybe to adjust some other things inside. It's already generous that printer manufacturer Ultimaker offered their software free to download and use for other brand printers; if they allowed the rebadging by a competitor it is a bit hard to understand.

Anyway, Cura is the original program, and does get updated more frequently.

• @Paweł In the Cura slicer software you can also explore & edit the 'Start G-Code' and 'End G-Code' via menu Preferences > Printers > Machine Settings

All I've done with this so far is to get my printer to signal S-O-S when its finished printing: http://captainbodgit.blogspot.com/2021/05/my-bleepin-3d-printer.html

You may find this G-Code reference useful: https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G000-G001.html

• @Alain_Reiner and @SteveDee

Hi Guys,

Thank you for sharing your experience and tips. In the meantime I took a closer look on the G-codes generated by Creality Slicer. Within the set of starting commands there are lines:

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

It's setting 0 position for the extruder and while doing this it's extruding some amount of the filament (here 3 mm). After deleting these lines, filament was obviously not extruded in such as amount as before. I found also a similar tip on this forum yesterday ("Ender 5 Plus Extrusion Too Early") - exactly the same prolem with filament was discussed there.

I had also the first contact with Ultimaker Cura slicer and it's indeed far more powerful than the Creality one.

Best regards
    Paweł

• @SteveDee and @Paweł

Hi,
    I never found a solution to that problem, I just can live with it. I keep on thinking that there should be some kind of valve mechanism within the nozzle... But, there is not, so be it...
    How do I live with it ? to run the settings :

• I heat the bed and the filament at printing values
    • I manually retract a small length of the filament (1 cm max). It does lessen the unwanted extrusion but does not stop it.
    • I do the home leveling with the leveller gauges (0.2 and 0.3 mm). When you pass the gauge under the nozzle, with just the right gap for it, it pushes and takes the unwanted filament off. Finally my home leveling is correct when I check it further on.
    • Then, I run the aux leveling with the sheet of paper. Here again the tool helps to clean the nozzle : you get the unwanted filament stuck on the paper. You have to care that it does not get in the way for the aux leveling, otherwise it adds some height.
    • then, I check the home leveling
    • then, I push the filament back
      End of settings.

For printing :

• I set the auto-leveling on
    • by the time of the auto leveling, I "clean" the nozzle with the tweezers (just taking the unwanted filament off)
    • at the beginning of the printing, the nozzle makes a fro and return while extruding. So it leaves the already extruded filament on the bed. You have to be careful so this pack of filament does not get in the nozzle way.

@Paweł I do recommend to use the last version of the CURA slicer. Just use the Creality one for the firmware updates. If you want I can share my settings.

After 1 month working, testing, and learning I am finally able to print what I want. I will share all my lessons learnt in an other post.

Best Regards,
    Alain Reiner

• @Paweł As I don't have auto-leveling, I 'm not much use to you.
    I manually level by first cleaning the nozzle at about 200'C, then lower the temp so it stops oozing. I then set the bed to 60'C and manually adjust bed leveling.

On my printer (cr-10-v3) I have an extruder wheel which I can turn by hand (so long as the extruder is hot) to either extrude or retract plastic. Retracting by about 45-90 degrees is enough to stop oozing while leveling, when I want to level with a hot nozzle (but I don't usually bother).

I don't think a manual 'machine pause' is in the accessible g-code, but a programmed pause certainly is (i.e. if you slice with the "Filament Change" plugin set up so that you can change filament part way through a print). When I use this plugin, I manually remove any hanging plastic before pressing Resume Printing.

One other point is that I use the Cura 4.9.x slicer which draws a double purge line down the side of the bed before starting to print. This normally dumps any hanging plastic thread, giving the printed object a clean start.

• Hi @Alain_Reiner @SteveDee

I'm also a beginner in 3D printing. I want to join the discussion since I experienced exactly the same problem as described by Alain. Filament keeps extruding during auto-leveling just before printing.

Interestingly, when I pause printing, the retraction systems seems to work to some extent (in addition temperature switch) and the degree of extrusion is smaller. However, after restarting, nozzle reaches set-temperature first (210C) and on the way from pause position (back-right corner) to the last position above the model a significant portion of filament is already extruded.

I'm using Creality Slicer 1.2.3 software and I set the amount of retraction = 6mm (Advanced-Tab). This systems seems to work correctly during model printing because I could easily see the back movement of the extruder motor and I didn't observe any traces of filament in the unwanted regions of the model. Do you know if (and if yes, how) such information is saved in GCode? Maybe it is possible to set instructions for temperature controller?

During recent projects, I used such a strategy: 1) set lower nozzle temperature (185C), 2) keep gently cleaning nozzle during auto-levelling and 3) manually increase temperature to the correct one when the head is already finishing measurement of the last spot. However, I had always problem with excessive filament and good adhesion on the first 10 cm of the first layer. It is obviously a poor solution for more important projects.

Best regards
    Paweł

• @Alain_Reiner
    Ok Alain, I may have underestimated your problem.

When the nozzle/hot-end is heated to (say) 200'C, the filament may flow out of the nozzle for a short time, but it should not keep coming out like a leaking water tap. This is because the filament is driven by the feed motor, which should not be running until the material is required for printing.

Even when printing, the extruder motor only pushes the filament through the hot-end/nozzle when required, and even retracts the filament (pulls it back a short distance through the extruder) when not required.

I don't know what your problem is, if heated filament keeps coming out of the nozzle for more than a few moments.

• Is the extruder motor slowly pushing the filament? (on my CR-10-V3 I can easily see when the extruder motor is turning in either direction, but I don't know the layout on your printer).
    • How long does the machine keep extruding for? (e.g. 1min, 5mins, forever!)

Getting help on this strange forum appears to be really difficult. There are far more unanswered questions here than I am used to from my experience of technical forums. (where are the experts, where are the Creality insiders?).
    So I am sorry if my suggestions are not much help, but at least I am trying.

• Hi Steve,

@SteveDee : thank you for your answer. Sure it helps because I need to know if I am doing wrong things. So the permanent extruding when the nozzle is hot is not only me.

So I achieved to adjust the aux leveling and the home level, pulling the filament out and keeping the nozzle hot. but it gives me another problem : I tried 2 different ways for beginning the printing and none is working. The first stage of the printing is warming the hot bed and the nozzle. Then, the second stage is the auto-leveling. So, I keep the filament pulled out and I launch the printing.
    1st way) At the auto-leveling, at the 16th measurement, I push the filament back. So there is some wrong extruding for the first lines and I get the wrong lines away using a small tool. But it's quite difficult to do it properly, I have to re-do it several times before getting the printing really starting.
    2nd way) I keep the filament on, and I start the printing. During all the auto-leveling I've got this wrong extrusion and when it's the time for really beginning the printing, it does not work because of all this extruded filament in the way.

I plan to test a third way : to warm the nozzle at 170 °C, so there won't be any extrusion and it will be close to the operation temperature. I will let the filament on, and then I will have to get all the wrong filament away, extruded by the auto-leveling, at the start of the printing. The last part is not easy...

Could not there be a valve in the nozzle ? so the filament would be extruded only when required... I don't know a thing in 3D printing but it seems obvious to me... When I want water flowing, I just use the tap...

Anybody could give some advices ?

Best Regards,
    Alain Reiner

• I have not been using my Creality printer very long, but I now level the bed with the bed set to the working temperature (say 50'C).
    I do not heat the hot-end/nozzle because of the same problems that you mention.
    Instead of using paper, I use metal "feeler gauges" and aim for a gap of between 50-80nm (0.05-0.08mm).

Make sure you remove any extruder plastic while the nozzle is cooling down, prior to levelling the bed (I use a small mirror to inspect the nozzle, with the print head raised maybe 80mm).

I hope that helps.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.