The Ender 5 pro home position

• The "Home" position is in the center of the bed at a specified distance from the nozzle known as the Z offset if you have a Z probe such as a BLTouch or EZABL or similar. If you do not have a Z probe the Z home will be a fixed distance from the Nozzle tip which is typically 15 mms from the tip if you have the Z stop set correctly.

• @Tucats indeed that's the main thing. Thanks too for sharing the fix. Have fun!

• @telephasic Well, at least it is working now and I am having some fun printing things. Thanks for your help and input. Cheers// Mike (tucats)

• @Tucats it is a strange choice on creality's part, but they decided to have printers store their settings on the SD card instead of on-board memory. They are in a file called EEPROM.DAT. Maybe something in there about bed size got set wrong or corrupted, and starting fresh solved it. You might find you have lost other settings too, like your Z-offset. Still weird though, I agree.

• @telephasic I know this sounds very strange but I started to use a new micro SD card. Now when I slice and save everything is working as it should. hmmmmm...

• @Tucats said in The Ender 5 pro home position:

no matter how many changes that I make to X and Y my prints fail at this location.

Re-reading your last post. If i understand this right, you are trying to manually (by hand or menu buttons) move the carriage somewhere before selecting the file and starting the print, hoping that it starts printing there?

If so, no, it does not work that way. The position of the carriage before the print is started makes no difference. The "G28 ;Home" (in Start G-code of my last post snapshot) means the carriage will reset its position. It will then go on printing according to where the model was located when the gcode was exported from the slicer.

Does that help?

• @Tucats That's no good! So...

• in the slicer, you have the model showing up nicely in the middle of the bed?
    • in the slicer machine settings, the bed is the right size for Ender 5 pro? (i guess 220x220)
    • "Origin at center" is UNchecked?

da36ff52-1676-4d99-b634-7e98a6575a0a-image.png

• you export the gcode file with "Save to Disk" button?
    • you're sure that this is the file you printing? (not some old one already on there, can happen)

• Well, I am ready to give up. I still have the same problem (the object begins printing at the home position) and no matter how many changes that I make to X and Y my prints fail at this location. I have to figure out how to get the print to start in the middle of the plate.

• @SteveDee said in The Ender 5 pro home position:

@telephasic That's a good explanation.
    I'm amused by the idea that I may have been sitting on the wrong side of my cr10-v3, as it 'homes' bottom left, rather than top right! 🙂 "G28 Sweet G28"

Thanks. Haha hang that on your wall 😛 Noo, no right/wrong sides here, just i see the CR-10's X limit switch is on the left, so that model (and ender-3, etc) goes looking for x=0, y=0 directly. And bottom for that kind of printer is the same as what i called top (bed=top) for ender-5/6: nozzle closest to the bed.

I'm sure when I first started using my printer, that the final 'dip' in the homing sequence would stick that snotty bit of PLA to the corner of the bed, before the head moved off to print a 'purge' line. Don't know if that was by design, but must give that corner of the bed a good clean today and see if can do it again.

Yeah that kind of detail might have changed with firmware updates (if it really happens with G28?). Or might have been in your machine settings start G-code where the purge line is written? If you changed printer profiles maybe that movement got lost.

• @telephasic That's a good explanation.
    I'm amused by the idea that I may have been sitting on the wrong side of my cr10-v3, as it 'homes' bottom left, rather than top right! 🙂 "G28 Sweet G28"

I'm sure when I first started using my printer, that the final 'dip' in the homing sequence would stick that snotty bit of PLA to the corner of the bed, before the head moved off to print a 'purge' line. Don't know if that was by design, but must give that corner of the bed a good clean today and see if can do it again.

• Long-winded explanation:

After powering on, and generally every time the printer doesn't know where the nozzle is (it could have been moved manually), it has to go looking. It goes to maximum X (right), moving in that direction until it hits the end-stop limit switch, then stops. Then does the same for Y (to the rear), and finally minimum Z (max bed height).

The place where it ends up, the back right top corner, is X=max, Y=max, Z=0. Once it has found this reference place, it can keep track of every movement to know where it is at any given time.

The origin/datum is where X=0, Y=0, Z=0, which is the front left top corner. That will be the corner with the red/green/blue arrows in the slicer. "Home" might depend on settings and context, whether it's the back right corner where the end-stops were all triggered, or for example with a bl-touch it goes to the middle of the bed to find Z=0, and then probably backs off a bit.

It's not really about being a convenient place to start a print, just how the printer designers laid out X, Y, and Z.

(Edit: got ahead of myself, forgot back right is max corner, and mixing origin and home)

• @SteveDee Thanks! That helps me a lot. I believe I now know why my projects won't print properly. I will make adjustments before I slice. I am printing the cat again from the SD card and it is coming out perfect in the center of the bed. Cheers.

• @Tucats Your Home position will be in one of the corners, and it will always start from there. But where it prints your object on the bed is down to you.

When you download files from Thingiverse and open the .stl file in your slicer, you can then centre it or move it to wherever you want it, before you slice it.

I hope that helps.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.