Ender3 v2 Glass Bed Cleaning & Firmware Upgrade ?

• Hi,

The manual of our new Ender3 V2 states that the glass print surface should be cleaned with IPA, but have seen comments elsewhere on Crealitys site that we should not use IPA.
    What should we be using please ..?

Our firmware shows as v 1.0.2 , there appears to be V1.1.2 out now, but not seen any clear information what improvements the new version offers, for beginner like us, is it an upgrade worth doing ?

thanks.

• @bill345 said in Ender3 v2 Glass Bed Cleaning & Firmware Upgrade ?:

...Just one more question, noticed that the V2 Meanwell psu has a fan outlet but the Enders black outer metal case plate covers over the air inlet slots on the Meanwells box...

Well it depends. If the power supply is over-rated for this application, and the design team have done proper environmental testing with this arrangement (e.g. run the equipment in a chamber for a period of time with the ambient/chamber temperature set to, say, +40'C) then this may be fine.

But I don't know how well this current generation of hardware designers test their designs...

...OK, I admit it, I'm an old retired Engineer.

• Thanks all,

Have had the printer a few week and its all up and runing very well. 😄

Will leave the firmware well alone, not going to add BL or Fil out.

Just one more question, noticed that the V2 Meanwell psu has a fan outlet but the Enders black outer metal case plate covers over the air inlet slots on the Meanwells box ?
    Wonder why the factory cover this airway up, surely not a good thing for a psu ?

Notice that folk who add and print a 3D cover to fit a larger fan also make new air vents to match etc.

• @SteveDee said in Ender3 v2 Glass Bed Cleaning & Firmware Upgrade ?:

Firmware Upgrades; it seems to me that a very large percentage of questions on this forum concern problems following attempted upgrades. Just leave your printer as it is and print, print, print! That's what it is for!

"I bought a new car, but before I ever drove it, I put on new wheels, a turbo, and chip-tuned it. Now it's making a funny noise. What's wrong?" 😅

But seriously, to add on @Gracy 's answer about firmware: the version that comes on your printer should be working as intended out of the box. In general, other than to support hardware changes (like bl touch or other kits), it shouldn't be necessary to update. Definitely get it up, running, and familiar at first, at the very least.

For cleaning: as @SteveDee says, it's just about degreasing previous prints and finger prints. I had read the same reports of IPA reacting with some bed surfaces. while I'm skeptical of that, I found simple dish detergent always does the trick, and don't need anything more complicated. Could test a small amount on a corner if you want to be sure.

• @bill345 For the first few months of using my CR-10-V3 (with glass bed) I used methylated spirits, which was good for removing contaminants, but also left a slight residue.

I bought some IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Pure IPA) about 2 months ago and I've only needed to use it twice. Once you have de-greased and cleaned with this stuff, you can just print & print & print (...as long as you keep your fingers off the bed!).

Firmware Upgrades; it seems to me that a very large percentage of questions on this forum concern problems following attempted upgrades. Just leave your printer as it is and print, print, print! That's what it is for!

Although I was given a BLTouch, I have absolutely no intention of fitting it. Its not difficult to level your bed, and once its done, leave it alone and just print. Only go back and fiddle with it if you are getting problems. I can't talk about all Creality printers, but my CR-10 seems very stable, and doesn't need continual tweaking.

• Hi,@bill345 The default firmware is v1.0.2, and v1.1.2 is the firmware compatible with BLTouch and filament break detection switch. If the corresponding accessories are added, then you need to update to the matching firmware.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.