Solutions for stringings

• Stringing usually occurs when the nozzle moves to a new position, and filaments still permeate out of the nozzle. Thankfully, several settings in Creality slicer are helpful to solve this issue, just as follows.

1.Retraction distance.
    Retraction distance determines how much filament is pulled out of the nozzle. In general, the more filament retracted from the nozzle, the less likely the nozzle is to ooze while moving.

The normal retraction distance is set at 6-10mm ( the more specific value depends on the characteristic of filaments)

2.Retraction speed
    This determines how fast the filament is retracted from the nozzle.
    If the speed is slow, that stringings become possible. The suitable retraction speed is 60-100mm/s.

3.Nozzle temperature
    Too high- temperature cause filament in the nozzle to become less viscous and will leak out of the nozzle much more easily. If there is a stringing problem in your printing model, you can try to slow down the nozzle temperature in increments of 5℃. However, too low temperature would also lead to other issues. In general, the normal nozzle temperature for PLA is 190-210℃.

4.Suspended moving distance
    The moving distance has a great influence on stringing. Short moves may be quick enough that the filament has no time to ooze out of the nozzle.
    In Creality slicer, we can set the minimum move distance at 1.5 mm.
    Friends, if you have more idea on stringings, please share it.

• @Gracy said in Solutions for stringings:

Hi, @SteveDee for Creality Direct Drive Extruder models, The recommended retraction distance (also called retraction length) in Creality is 8mm.

Oh, thanks for that. I'd read somewhere that for direct drives it should be around 2mm, which is what I'm currently using...so now I'm confused!

I thought the argument for a small retraction on direct drive was because the extruder is mounted nice and close to the nozzle, so its operating characteristics are going to be very different to that of a CR-10 with a Bowden assembly.

• Hi, @SteveDee for Creality Direct Drive Extruder models, The recommended retraction distance (also called retraction length) in Creality is 8mm.

• @Gracy said in Solutions for stringings:

1.Retraction distance.
    Retraction distance determines how much filament is pulled out of the nozzle. In general, the more filament retracted from the nozzle, the less likely the nozzle is to ooze while moving.

The normal retraction distance is set at 6-10mm ( the more specific value depends on the characteristic of filaments)

Surely this setting range is too high for Creality Direct Drive Extruder models?

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.