Is auto-leveling persistent?

• Got my printer a few days ago, everything worked flawlessly. Compare to my experience from my first 3d printer many years ago, this is like plug and play works out-of-the-box like an inkjet printer.

I have heard people saying on facebook here and there that you need to do auto-leveling every time you power on the printer. Some said newer version firmware persistent the information on sd-card. Can I get an official answer on this?

I have v1.0.2 firmware already installed.

• @FunAndGames, you won't be able to command the printer to do anything that may need to store or retrieve settings from the card while it is out. But if you only intend to pull it out to walk it over to your computer to load/unload g-code files, then put it right back in, you should be fine.

In other words, there is no 'eject' function on the printer, simply pull it out when the printer is idle.

But if you ever want to connect your printer directly to your computer or Octoprint, it would be beneficial to leave an SD card in the printer at all times.

• @boringuy If it is saving that to the eeprom.dat file on the card, what happens if you pull the card? Say, to add more gcode files?

• @bucweat I haven't had time to test it but I believe if you're using something like OctoPrint to feed G-code that G28 in the Start code disables bed leveling and has to be re enabled with M420 S1. I also follow it with a G29 O(that's Oh not zero!) to verify it was able to retrieve the bed mesh and if not run bed leveling again.

I asked this question on the CR-6 SE Facebook page but didn't really get a satisfying answer.

Also as far as I know you need to have an SD card in for the bed mesh to save to EEPROM even if you're using OctoPrint to supply G-code.

• Question. Do you need to restore ABL mesh each time you print after doing initial leveling using gcode

M420 S1 ; restore ABL mesh

That is not in the default startup gcode for the CR-6 SE printer profile that is included in the Creality slicer software.

• Someone on FB answered my question. I will post it here for the record. The leveling data seems to be saving to EEPROM.DAT but the printer always starts with Jan 1st 2000 date, so when I list the file in modified time order, I never noticed it got changed.

• @boringuy

Under normal circumstances, it is not necessary to level each time, if the pulley is loose, it needs to be adjusted.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.