Ender 3 V2 - Pause at Height resumes quickly on own.

• Hey everyone,

I'm very new to 3D printing, but I'm already having a great time with it.

I'm using Pause at Height(layer) and I want it to stay paused will I change filament but... It begins printing around 10 seconds from pausing in the first place. I've tried using Ultimaker Cura 4.7 and Creality Slicer 4.2. I get the same results.

I've noticed that the screen is giving me the option to Pause print. So I'm assuming it thinks its still printing or it's resuming print because of that maybe. I also tried pressing the pause print button while the printer was in it's "10-second" pause at height mode. But when pressing that button it didn't do anything until the print started printing again... Then It paused. I also figured that had something to do with the code command line completing itself before moving onto the next line.

Again, I am very new to this, but if anyone has a solution to this that would be great! I'm assuming its something very silly that I'm doing wrong.

Thanks again, everyone! Not sure how to include the code... Sorry about that.
    -Michael

• I had issues with the pause, too.
    I think I know now what's happening. My Printer does the following steps:

• printing as usually
    • at specified layer: move up, go to specified parking position, move down, move to next print position, pause

M25 ; Do the actual pause
    M109 S190 ; resume temperature
    G1 F300 Z1.8
    G1 F9000 X96.979 Y138.603
    G1 F300 Z0.8 ; move back down to resume height

G1 F2400 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    M82 ; switch back to absolute E values
    G92 E1961.36721

so the problem is: the printer executes the next about 4 steps before pause command takes effect. I read something about pause when queue is empty. The Ender 3 V2 seems to cache/queue the next steps. I successfully made the printer pause usefully by adding 4 lines of rubbish code after the pause command, makes my complete pause section looking like this:

M83 ; switch to relative E values for any needed retraction
    G1 F1500 E-10.0
    G1 F300 Z1.8 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
    G1 F9000 X100.0 Y140.0
    G1 F300 Z50 ; too close to bed--move to at least 15mm, increased for better filament changing
    M104 S190 ; standby temperature
    M109 S190 ; resume temperature
    G1 F9000 X100.0 Y140.0 ; rubbish because nozzle is at this position

G1 F300 Z1.8
    G1 F9000 X96.979 Y138.603
    G1 F2400 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    G92 E1961.36721

I hope this helps someone
    -eMpTy-

• I created some G-code that I insert into the file just above where cura puts 'LAYER:#'

;PAUSE AT HEIGHT
    G0 F9000 X100 Y115 Z3 ;Z[current z + 0.5] move up
    G0 F500 X5 Y5 ;home
    G0 F500 X100 Y115 Z2.2 ;[F500 current] go back

1st line: move up: copy the last line of the previous layer and add 0.5 to the z axis
    2nd line: home: move to the position you want I made it go close to the home position and move slowly
    3rd line: go back: copy the last line of the previous layer and change to F500 to make it move slower

If you have the printer within eyeshot, this should give you enough time to press pause on the printer. Of course if you want to change filament you will need to pull it out while the hot end is still hot.

works fine for me 🙂

• @MikeeB Question is, what is creality's motive regarding this pause/resume print and change filament issue on the e3v2. I'm printing with my Anet A8 for 4 years now with no firmware upgrades up to now, and i did lots of different color filament prints. Regarding this issue, e3v2 is inferior to my old Anet A8. But all and all the e3v2 is a great machine and i spent hours on printing with it. I'll wait for this firmware upgrade till it shows up on their firmware download page.

• can we please just get the real fix...
    PLEASE!!!! ive been on this all day and it seems like everyone is chaseing their tails...i have only had this v2 for 3 weeks and today i have read EVERY post since march 2020 and NO ONE HAS FIGURED IT OUT...really? you can see were 15 hours of trying to get this to work has gotten me..so creality isnt helping sales with issues that seem like they are easy fixed... i went through this crap with quadcopters and the firmware and configurator BS 10 years ago and it seems that the general public is generaly left out of the fixes to these issues that are not known when purchasing a 3d printer....or some new tech thing...
    like this, if you bought a car but the dealer said there may be some issues with the tire wear and the car may or may not preform as avertised....WOULD YOU BUY IT just to see if you could fix the problem, probally not, im guessing......15 hours with no luck, just another ulsur...

• I am currently having this issue. I use the pause at heigh function in Cura with Marlin method selected and the printer pauses when it should but just starts back up whenever it feels like it.
    I'm trying to get to stop so that I can embed some magnets.
    I used the BQ (M25) above. The printer stops in the correct position, out of the way but then moves back into the centre and stops again. The display shows 'Print Paused' but nothing happens when I press the button to restart.

Scratching my head here.

TIA for any help

• @drgleason
    Newbie here just wondering why you used BQ(M25) instead of Marlin(M0)? does the Ender 3 not use Marlin?

• @drgleason
    Thanks for that as it worked for me.
    George.

• I have found a way to do it with Cura 4.7.1.

I used the "Pause at Height" command with the BQ (M25) option (found under Extensions/Post Processing/Modify G-Code). To make it pause correctly, you also need to add something to the "G-code Before Pause" command line -- I added M300 so it would beep when it was ready. If you leave it blank then the printer will only pause and then restart on it's own.
    [alt text]Cura Settings.JPG
    With this method the printer did a hard pause at the parked position and did not restart on it's own. I was able to do a filament change. However, I did make one additional change to the gcode to make it successful. I had to comment out the last extruder advance (that was set to reverse the "Retraction" entry), else it pushed a big blob out just as it started to print.

;script: PauseAtHeight.py
    ;current layer: 3
    M83 ; switch to relative E values for any needed retraction
    G1 F1500 E-10
    G1 F300 Z1.8 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
    G1 F9000 X190 Y190
    G1 F300 Z15 ; too close to bed--move to at least 15mm
    M104 S0 ; standby temperature
    M300
    M109 S200 ; resume temperature
    G1 F1500 E10
    G1 F1500 E-10
    G1 F300 Z1.8
    G1 F9000 X122.478 Y111.115
    ;G1 F1500 E10 I commented this line out
    G1 F1500 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    G92 E338.46292
    ;LAYER:3

I was also able to get it to hard pause by adding text to the "Display Text" box, however, this extruder would move to the park position, briefly pause, and then move back to ~1 mm above the start print position before it would hard pause. It was very difficult to change the filament in this position without making a mess.😠

Hope this helps!

Dennis

• Dear @wmyhal

Have you tried the method that our engineer support? Does it work?

• Hi everyone.

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution other than octoprint?

• @admin
    It seems that installing a raspberry pi helped me solve this issue. I was able to get the printer to pause and stay paused after hooking up Octoprint and Cura integration with the API.

• @admin
    I've downloaded the file and added the pause at height functionality. It does pause but unfortunately, resumes on its own still...

• @MikeeB

Please print this model and set it to 5 to pause when printing to 5mm height. If you still pause for 10 seconds and continue printing, it means that the printer firmware restricts the pause function
    2093a8ed-b089-4ecd-b39f-05c6420e664f-image.png

And there is a gcode document will send to you by email

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.