Z axis inconsistent levelling



  • Had the Ender 6 a while but only recently started using it a lot.
    I have an issue with the consistency of the bed levelling, it seems to change from print to print. In fact, I can level the bed, then go back in to the menu and level again and the level has changed.

    This makes getting 2 consecutive prints almost impossible and even 1 print with a decent first layer hit and miss at best.

    I have checked all the z-axis stepper connection bolts are tight, the z-axis limit switch is not moving and secured properly, the screw adjuster for the z-axis is also tight and not moving.

    I have ordered a BLtouch but having read around the threads and comments of how successful that install is likely to be I'm looking for plan B.

    Any help would be very much appreciated as at the moment, I'm very much regretting my purchase.

    Thanks
    Steve



  • I just got mine last week and have installed the EZABL and have not had any bed leveling problem. Have run tons of calibration cubes and benchies along with 10-20 prints with no problem. It auto levels before every print.



  • @MDKsmiffy

    Ive had the 6 for 4 weeks now and in the beginning everything was just perfect. Then the bed-levelling issues started.
    Bed levelling was getting done and checked on a print by print basis. The inconsistency was debilitating.
    Then I found that the z-axis carriage had undue play in it. I loosened the 4 front roller guides. propped the leading edge of the bed and adjusted the guides until there was no play.
    Calibration was done and the results were almost perfect and back to what it should be. Problem solved or so far so good.

    I have ordered poly roller guides and will install once they arrive.

    And while I was at it I loosened the z-stepper motor and aligned the T-bar so that it was vertical and as close to square with the bed as possible. This was checked on initial assembly but somehow it was now misaligned. Z-stepper motor was still however tight.

    BLTouch is installed and works just fine however it does have a bit of a problem every now and again.
    It seems as if it looses memory or something like that (I dabble but am no electronics / programming genius). Midway through the bed-probe it will record an error and stop. When that happens it requires a system wide reboot then all is fine again.

    For reference I am running OctoPi. It may or may not make a difference with the BLT.

    Regards
    George



  • I've had mine for only a couple months and have seen plenty of irritating deficiencies (as well as enjoying stunning performance), but curiously the one problem I'd been most afraid of, Z cal inconsistency, has been a non-issue from the very start. I won't doubt that you've had trouble, I'll only note that, as for me, the Z cals are dead-on accurate every single time. Just don't ask me about the trashy mainboard connector contamination.



  • hi,

    same problem for me with a bed very angled.... finally i write a new time the last firmware and all my problems are disappearing 🙂


Log in to reply