Cr-6 SE - USB connection

• I finally got all my isseus sorted out with connecting the CR-6SE to my WIn10 Computer and now started to print directly via SImplified 3D. I'm sure I will need to treak the profile etc as I learn more.

My problem/observation is the following:

If I have the USB cable plugged into the CR-6 and turn off the CR-6, it seems to be receiving power via the USB cable. The screen backlight seems to be visibly very faint and the Win10 Device for the CR-6 is still active. I can pull the USB plug but that will destroy the port over a short period of time. This does not seem to be a good idea.

On my CR-10 if you powered down everything powered down.

• Now I'm not an electrical engineer @xineja (structural yes), but isn't the voltage between ground wires usually in the range of zero to slightly zero. I though all ground were all connected to, like... the ground? Wouldn't that trip the circuit breakers?

Now I do have an old house and sometimes the wiring is not the greatest. Could a reversed polarity in the wall outlet cause something like this as well? I never thought to check my outlet.

• After just a few minutes my USB plug started to melt, so I decided to investigate.
    When the printer is off, there's around 300mV between my PC USB ground and CR6 USB ground.
    As soon as the CR6 is powered up, that voltage differential becomes 20V! You've read it right: TWENTY VOLTS!
    That's why we're burning our USB ports.
    I wrote to Creality tech support.. no reply.
    I wrote to Creality facebook support group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3110994512278883/permalink/3674888865889442/
    and just some people trying to get helpful, but no reply from Creality there either.
    Make your voice heard, write here, write on Facebook group, write to support.
    We paid good money for this printer, we deserve a working one!

• Mine isn't burned up yet. But i'm afraid using it, because the when connecting my PI to the printer via USB, it starts to make a whistling sound. It does boot up the lcd but it sounds like it's gonna explode.... 😭 really this is unacceptable Quality. An usb device should be able to safely stay connected to the printer. On my CR20 there are no issues when i leave the USB. connected to my PI So you guys at Creality do know how to properly design and assamble a 3d printer... Haven't seen it yet on this machine... So when it this issue fixed en when can we expect the new motherboards and / or wiring for the USB? @admin

I'm backer 2785.

• @spauliszyn Yup, that also works 😂

• @crayon, @Stonedog03, @GroovyDrifter, I just sliced opened my usb cable a bit and cut 2mm of the red wire out. Works fine and I only ruined a $2 cable.

• What type of USB cable is used to connect the cr-6 SE to the computer, what connection type is on the printer?

• @admin There is a fuse on all of your motherboards that joins the power from the USB to the one from the regulator, if you remove that fuse the board does not take power from the USB. I always remove it when I get a new printer, but you need proper soldering skills to do this, regular users may find it problematic.

• Personally I just taped over the 5V pin in the USB cable.
    That did the trick for me. Currently using USB cable together with a RaspberryPi and OctoPrint.
    No expensive additional hardware needed, and it doesn't break the USB cable.

• @roeland said in Cr-6 SE - USB connection:

After I connected my desktop via a USB cable to the printer, BOTH THE PRINTER AND MY COMPUTER DIED. I have no idea how a USB cable connection could even do that, but it happened anyway. I've asked Creality support to help me and have sent my computer to a repair shop.

I was running the firmware the printer was delivered with. Needless to say, I'm very unhappy at this moment... I was getting the hang of getting some nice prints and now this...

My suggestion: Do NOT connect the printer via USB, unless Creality guarantees it is safe to do so.

This is exactly what happened to me this last Thursday when I finally received my printer. After going through all the standard first tests, I went to preheat to print out a calibration cube for my first print. Printer reset at 45C on the hotbed temp, then would reset every time you attempted to do a pre-heat. I decided to hook it up to my computer since I didn't have a Pi ready, and figured I could verify if this was an issue with the printer or just the control screen. Plugged it in, turned to open the software and then notice smoke coming out at the plug on the printer. Got so hot it melted the end of the USB cable wrap. Pulled the power on the printer and the usb cable but it was too late. My computer motherboard is fried as well as the printer motherboard. I dearly wish I had found these posts and the cr6 subreddit prior to getting my printer, because I could have saved both of my devices. Now I'm currently out a brand new printer that I never even got to use as well as a recently purchased motherboard on a computer only a few months old.

• @roeland said in Cr-6 SE - USB connection:

After I connected my desktop via a USB cable to the printer, BOTH THE PRINTER AND MY COMPUTER DIED. I have no idea how a USB cable connection could even do that, but it happened anyway. I've asked Creality support to help me and have sent my computer to a repair shop.

I was running the firmware the printer was delivered with. Needless to say, I'm very unhappy at this moment... I was getting the hang of getting some nice prints and now this...

My suggestion: Do NOT connect the printer via USB, unless Creality guarantees it is safe to do so.

Mine did the same thing, on the main CR-6 board SMD Fuse F3 and SMD chip U9 were both burned.

• @Stonedog03 said in Cr-6 SE - USB connection:

There is another product that can prevent the printer from drawing power over the USB link from your raspberry pi (think octoprint) or computer:

https://www.th3dstudio.com/product/power-blough-r-pi-usb-power-blocker/

I ordered one today, so obviously I haven't tested this yet (the product just came back in stock). Hopefully they will get it out to me quickly and I can report back on how it works.

So I received the "Power BLough" USB power blocker and it works as advertised. I am now able to power off the CR-6 with it still plugged into my USB port without it sucking power and lighting up the touch screen. Sucks that we have to add things to make it right, but this at least solves the issue.

-Mike

• There is another product that can prevent the printer from drawing power over the USB link from your raspberry pi (think octoprint) or computer:

https://www.th3dstudio.com/product/power-blough-r-pi-usb-power-blocker/

I ordered one today, so obviously I haven't tested this yet (the product just came back in stock). Hopefully they will get it out to me quickly and I can report back on how it works.

• After I connected my desktop via a USB cable to the printer, BOTH THE PRINTER AND MY COMPUTER DIED. I have no idea how a USB cable connection could even do that, but it happened anyway. I've asked Creality support to help me and have sent my computer to a repair shop.

• @admin yet I think a filter between the USB port and the display can prevent a lot of questions and doubt. Why try to power the display. Put in a few diodes and you're golden.

• I had my USB plugged in for about 10 seconds before I started seeing smoke from somewhere. When I went to pull it, it was hot. I haven't dared to plug it in again.

• @Nigelh Same on Raspberry Pi 4 running OctoPrint.

The screen backlighting keeps blinking and I hear a very unpleasant sound from the unit--I feel like the thing is going to explode!!!

And unplugging the USB cable is not an acceptable fix!!! It is industry standard practice that USB cables to peripherals should not need to be unplugged, that's the whole convenience of USB connections.

• Same issue here: https://youtu.be/AT99AK39XwQ
    I also have that annoying sound - this is how I initially noticed the issue.

@admin, is that the official Creality position about this issue ? "You need to unplug the USB cable after shutting down"

That is a not a solution for me. As @Nigelh is saying other printers are behaving OK.
    This is definitely a hardware issue.

• Dear @Nigelh

USB is a 5V power supply. It can be turned on only by connecting a USB printer, but it cannot provide power for the printer to work. You need to unplug the USB cable after shutting down.

• Confirmed, same issue here. Mac.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.