How to autolevel?

• How is the auto leveling supposed to work? I've run it, print head comes down and does the whole grid, then re-homes...no additional message or anything saying it was complete. When I try printing, the nozzle is so close to the build plate in most places that the extruder clicks trying to push the filament through.

IMG_20200926_120720.jpg

• @spauliszyn Got the same issue, however its left corner for me

• Awesome @ncbob! Hahaha, I moved my wipe line over too! Cheers mate!

• @spauliszyn Here's my start gcode
    You can remove all the comments at the beginning, that's needed for OctoLapse that I run on Octoprint.

; Script based on an original created by tjjfvi (https://github.com/tjjfvi)
    ; An up-to-date version of the tjjfvi's original script can be found
    ; here: https://csi.t6.fyi/
    ; Note - This script will only work in Cura V4.2 and above!
    ; --- Global Settings
    ; layer_height = {layer_height}
    ; smooth_spiralized_contours = {smooth_spiralized_contours}
    ; magic_mesh_surface_mode = {magic_mesh_surface_mode}
    ; machine_extruder_count = {machine_extruder_count}
    ; --- Single Extruder Settings
    ; speed_z_hop = {speed_z_hop}
    ; retraction_amount = {retraction_amount}
    ; retraction_hop = {retraction_hop}
    ; retraction_hop_enabled = {retraction_hop_enabled}
    ; retraction_enable = {retraction_enable}
    ; retraction_speed = {retraction_speed}
    ; retraction_retract_speed = {retraction_retract_speed}
    ; retraction_prime_speed = {retraction_prime_speed}
    ; speed_travel = {speed_travel}

; Ender 3 Custom Start G-code

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G28 ; Home all axes
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
    G1 X5 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line
    G1 X4.4 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
    G1 X4.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line
    G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    G1 X7 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish

End Gcode

G91 ;Relative positioning
    G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit
    G1 E-2 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z
    G1 Z10 ;Raise Z more
    G90 ;Absolute positionning
    G1 X0 Y235 F3000

G1 X0 Y{machine_depth} ;Present print
    M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan
    M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend
    M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed

M84 X Y E ;Disable all steppers but Z

• Hi again @ncbob. Could you share your start and end g-code with us? I can ignore your specific tweaks values but I am interested in all the items that were able to configure. Thanks so much for your help! 🙂

• @thing20 @phamtom009 I've linked to a compiled version of the latest firmware, I think it's 1.0.36 that has the EEPROM enabled so you can save not only the ABL but all the other settings like PID tuning etc. I've been using it for a couple of days and have had no problem and don't have to wait for the ABL anymore.

• @phamtom009 I'm using Octoprint and Cura 4.7 but I'm able to initial a ABL with the normal G29 command. I'm also able to use the Bed Visualizer plugin to see the mesh generated by the G29 command. Also, there isn't any EEPROM in the CR6 mainboard so it's not capable of storing a ABL mesh. This means you'll need to perform the ABL each time the printer is turned off. I've just setup Cura to initiate an ABL at the beginning of each print to make sure I don't forget to do it after a power cycle.

• This sounds like it might be the same problem I had. The bowden tube was putting pressure on the load cell when the print head moved back and forth and caused the ABL to detect incorrect z-offsets in the corners. I printed a bracket to hold the bowden tube at the top of the print head to prevent it from putting pressure on the load cell while it's moving back and forth. The bracket is available here if you'd like to try it.

• @vandiemen311 thank you very much for sharing that - tightening up the x-axis fixed my autoleveling

• @vandiemen311 talking about flex, during an ABL when the nozzle is pressing into the right or left side of the plate watch the opposite side of the build plate. Let me know if you see a slight upward rise in the plate? That's what I've been seeing so it lead me to ask the question on another post https://forum.creality.com/topic/512/abl-issue-with-play-in-the-rollers?_=1602768984657

• @vandiemen311 Tried the wheel tightening solution - thanks for the idea but no improvement. Now awaiting response from Creality support. These are the five print areas I retrieved form the bed (though the near left one wasn't peelable).

[url=https://postimg.cc/4mPVMxsb][img]https://i.postimg.cc/t4Qksscf/20201009-173314.jpg[/img][/url]

• @spauliszyn That's awesome. My z-offset is around 3.5-4.0 now but it's pretty consistent on all sides.

• Hi @vandiemen311. My x-axis rollers seem tight. But I tried tightening the bolt that holds the back right y-axis roller. I just used the wrench on the nut just under the hot plate. That totally fixed the play in the build plate. Now I am getting all five squares on the plate but the z-offset still needs tweaking as a 0.20mm offset is not extruding anything for me.

I'm getting there... 🙂

• I was watching the operation video that was included on the SD card and noticed that in the auto level part of the video there was no flex in the print head...that's what caused me to check. I could tell the wheels that should be somewhat gripping the X-axis bar were quite loose, so that's what gave me the thought to try tightening them

• Hey I was able to solve my issue. It turned out the gantry on X-axis was too loose. There are 2 wheels on the top and one on the bottom. Tighten the one on the bottom if you notice the nozzle having a lot of give when trying to auto level. Apparently it is looking for more pressure to recognize the bed then I would have thought. Anyway, this may not be the same issue for others but once I did that the auto level has been working as expected. Best of luck!

• Yes, I would also like to know.

The Auto Leveling system doesn't seem follow other conventions.

• Can I initialize leveling with G-Code? From another post reply, that's a "No" at the moment.
    • Do you need any special G-Code in my model? Like M420?
    • Do I level before each print?
    • Do I level after each power cycle?

• Me as well. Here are two tests with the plate in different directions. Its either firmware or the build plate structure.

Could there have been extra pressure on one corner in the shipping boxes? I can't remember how it was packed.

2020-09-30 13.37.29 (Medium).jpg 2020-09-30 13.01.54 (Medium).jpg

• Got the same problem when I want to print over the whole print bed!
    Its also only right side.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.