Noisy Fans

• @spauliszyn said in Noisy Fans:

After testing each fan I did find the part blower to be the loudest by far.

That's really interesting to me, since I can not even hear the part cooling fan if the PSU fan is going. It's not quiet by any stretch but absolutely drowned out by the noise from the PSU and control board fans on my printer.

• @Stonedog03 ya the formatting options basic. I took your data and formatted it in code format. Does this look ok to you?

place:		power supply 	motherboard 	part cooler 	hot end cooler
    brand: 		ARX 		Creality 	Creality 	Creality
    type: 		FD1260-S3112C 	CHA6024RL-15B 	4010 EFS-04D24L	CHA3024RL-10B
    voltage: 	12V DC 		24V DC 		24V DC 		24V DC
    current: 	0.13A 		0.10A 		0.10A 		0.10A
    dims(mm): 	60x60x15 	60x60x15 	40x40x10 	30x30x10
    cfm: 		15.27 		13.64*
    dBA: 		34 		21*
    *: data from CHA6024RL-A25

After testing each fan I did find the part blower to be the loudest by far. I did find a fan on amazon that reports to be 20dba. I just ordered it and i will let you know.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MW1MS8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Okay....so the replacement PS fan I previously mentioned turned out to be a sleeve bearing fan and soon started making even more noise.....😢....That's what I get for not reading closely....So....I did the Noctua A9x14 fan mod as shown in the Facebook group (credit to Art Baldwin who did the heavy lifting on that mod). Since I was going to be really modding stuff, I started playing with the hot end. I found that the most noise was coming from the part cooling fan. It would make a rubbing/grinding noise on startup. So I ordered this replacement fan: https://www.th3dstudio.com/product/4010-ball-bearing-fan-24v/ which is the same size / voltage as the stock one. I did have to go to shorter screws to mount it as the mounting boss on the stock fan was a bit thicker, leaving the new fan a bit loose when the screws bottomed. This replacement fan seems to put out a more air flow over the stock one. Interestingly the heat break fan is tiny, which I usually associate with LOUD, but mine at least is dead silent. Surprising, but welcome! For the part cooling fan, the wire colors are Blue=ground and Yellow=positive. The Noctua A9x14 in the power supply is super quite. I printed the new power supply cover in black and since I already had my printer on some riser feet, not a big deal to fit. I really wanted to reduce heat in the power supply with this mod. The stock fan is TINY and with the outer power supply cover in place, air flow is frankly bad. The stock outer cover has an intake grill for the fan, but NO matching exit for the heat? It should have some slots or something for the heat to exit the area. Since the A9x14 mod ditches the outer cover and replaces the power supply lid, air flow is greatly improved. Anyway, that's my .02 cents.

Overall, this effort dropped the printer from 54db when printing to 49db when printing. The loudest fan is STILL the part cooling fan, so there is still some improvement possible, but -5db isn't a bad result at all.

• So, I got this replacement fan off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1Y4HRO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a 12v fan which is what is required for the power supply. It's a direct replacement for what is there, but watch the polarity on the connector. On mine, the meanwell power supply fan connector was opposite of what the new fan came as. Easy enough to pop the wire out of the connector and swap them. Since I was doing that, I moved the wire protector from the factory fan to the new one. Fits with no other modification and is much quieter than the factory one. Now I just need to do the other 60x15mm on the control board. That one is supposed to be 24v, so I got an LM2596 DC-DC buck converter to drop it down to 12v so I can use the same fan there. Haven't done that swap yet.

Anyway, just swapping out the power supply fan dropped the printer to 54db when printing. Much better than it was stock.

• @dingo35 :
    The second fan is NOT 60x60x25mm but 60x60x15mm !!

• I disassembled my CR-6SE and found the following fans:

place: power supply motherboard par cooler hot end cooler
    brand: ARX Creality Creality Creality
    type: FD1260-S3112C CHA6024RL-15B 4010 EFS-04D24L CHA3024RL-10B
    voltage: 12V DC 24V DC 24V DC 24V DC
    current: 0.13A 0.10A 0.10A 0.10A
    dimensions
    (mm): 60x60x15 60x60x25 40x40x10 30x30x10
    cfm: 15.27 13.64*
    dBA: 34 21*

*: data from CHA6024RL-A25

Sorry for the lousy layout but I couldnt find a table editor on this forum...

• Same issue with the Ender 5 Pro. You would think since it is an upgrade for the Ender 5, quieter fans would be part of that upgrade.

• I at least know that the blower fan thats on the right-hand-side is 24v
    Mine is making a right grinding noise, right from new. I think the bearings are crud, i've emailed creality to request a replacement.

Havent looked at the others, but agree its a shame that the nice silent stepper drivers are basically pointless because of the loud fans.

• I suspect 24v as there's no reason also to have a 12v output. However if it is a 24v output, here's a guide to fitting a 12v fan on a 24v supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjL38udVS24

There's also a good guide to quiet fans here:

https://www.quietpc.com/casefans

Please let us know how it goes.

• Fans are 24V as per admin comment on another thread.

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.