Firmware for Ender 6 to support BL touch V3.1

• @Etienne Did you find a fix for this ?

• @telephasic said in Firmware for Ender 6 to support BL touch V3.1:

Picoblade 5-pin

Thank you for the info. I have found the 5-pin connectors available (http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_picoblade.html).

• @dman said in Firmware for Ender 6 to support BL touch V3.1:

Hi, I have BLtouch version 3.1. The cable between the BLTouch and the PCB has only 1 JST connector for the BLTouch. The other end of the cable just has female headers to connect to the adapter boards.

Yeah i fell in the same trap, believing they might have come with cables for Ender-6. It seems they are not being sold yet.

Do you know which JST connector is needed to connect to the PCB mounted to the frame?

It's exactly the same as what goes into the bl touch itself. I learned that these smaller connectors are technically not JST connectors (JST being a company), they are "Picoblade 5-pin" connectors designed by company Molex. If you buy from an electronics shop, that's the right name. If you buy from amazon/etc, then the same are sold with the (wrong) name "JST 1.25mm 5-pin".

Or you can buy a bl touch extension cable, which has 1 of those on one end, and something else on the other. Maybe you can find the right extension kit that plugs into what you got with your bl touch. If not, you probably have to do some cutting and soldering.

In any case, you need to end up with a cable with identical connectors at each end, and pay attention to the wiring!

This is how mine ended up.
    img_20210116_225751.jpg

I can confirm that the firmware 1.0.4.9 and BL touch 3.1 do play nice together.

Hi, I have BLtouch version 3.1. The cable between the BLTouch and the PCB has only 1 JST connector for the BLTouch. The other end of the cable just has female headers to connect to the adapter boards.

Do you know which JST connector is needed to connect to the PCB mounted to the frame?

• @GZZ agree 100%, should not be on SD!

And that also seems backwards: that disable auto bed level means it doesn't read stored values. Annoying.
    You'd think disabled = read & use the stored mesh,
    Enabled = will measure again before print, so don't necessarily need to read.

If you have the right G code in your slicer though, and there is a valid mesh, it should be ok to leave ABL off in the lcd menu but still read & use the stored mesh... But I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Should be able to bypass the whole faulty menu by using serial terminal, although I don't think that solves the SD card mistake. Probably needs firmware editing.

• @telephasic To make matters worse. If you disable Auto Bed Level under Settings -> Leveling, then it dont read the bed level settings from the SD Card and all numbers are Zero. You then have to enable it and then turn off/on the machine for it to load the settings from the SD Card.

Its for sure a desgin error and I already raised a ticket, but not sure they will get back to me. The settings should NEVER be saved on the SD card, but on the mainboard.

• @jan141282 said in Firmware for Ender 6 to support BL touch V3.1:

I have also placed the bl-touch wit the latest firmware and it works the only problem is that the settings aren't written
    in the EEPROM of the mainboard but on the micro SD in the file eeprom.dat . so if you replace the sd wit an other you settings are gone.

you're right about the eeprom.dat on sd card - weird that they would do that! maybe it is a mistake?

i was finally able to get the bed level measurements to stay also, by measuring directly after flashing the BL firmware. then power off, remove sd card, delete the firmware .bin file (keep eeprom.dat!), and put sd back in the printer.

• I have also placed the bl-touch wit the latest firmware and it works the only problem is that the settings aren't written
    in the EEPROM of the mainboard but on the micro SD in the file eeprom.dat . so if you replace the sd wit an other you settings are gone.

• maybe it's time to post a success story here...

and i take it back. creality DID post a how-to for BL Touch on Ender-6:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWjK9ECebMA

I can confirm that the firmware 1.0.4.9 and BL touch 3.1 do play nice together.
    i used one that was labelled for ender-3 v2.

IMG_20201216_122804.jpg

IMG_20201216_122818.jpg

bought another picoblade connector (pre-wired), cut the big connector off the bl touch cable, wired the new one up colour-for-colour (ok, green was supposed to be white). otherwise it was plug and play, following the video exactly step by step.

i'm pretty sure using a fresh-formatted empty sd card is a step missed by a lot of people who later have problems. or not having the bl touch connected during flashing (or "brushing" as creality calls it) or during startup. and dont forget to disonnect the Z end-stop. if testing before mounting the unit, make sure it's vertical so the pin can drop freely.

also, before i soldered on the new cable end, i tested with some alligator clips. the ender did NOT like that at all: all the stepper motors growled like an angry wolf pack whenever BL was plugged in. pretty scary, but luckily the final cable solder job stopped this. I assume it was interference with PWM.

IMG_20201216_123428.jpg

IMG_20210116_225751.jpg

only thing left to solve is how to store the bed mesh and z offset, so it doesn't have to measure after powering off.

• @Pyrolev787 Very happy to report that both of these are now posted at creality3dofficial 🙌

https://forums.creality3dofficial.com/download/ender-series/ender-6/

There are lots of guides out there for other creality printers, but unfortunately not much for ender-6 yet. Might take a while for one of those flashy creality how-to videos, but never know. Hope somebody will shed some light eventually though. In the meantime trial/error and keep googlin' i guess....

• @telephasic 100% agree with you. The link is there as a backup. I would much rather have it be updated on the official site.

@jan141282 The printer shipped with firmware 1.0.4 so the biggest thing here is that it returned to the way it was before. I'm still trying to figure out what the printer does with the bltouch other than help in leveling the bed. The mesh that it generates cannot be saved to eeprom, only the z-offset. So maybe you have to run abl at the beginning of each print? But there is no documentation on what the features supported are.

• @Pyrolev787

Thanks for sharing,
    Hope to hear what your findings are whit this firmware. and if the bl-touch is working properly.

Regards,
    Jan

• Cool thanks @Pyrolev787 !

Great to know that these exist.

Rather than use your link though, kind as you were to share, maybe they will act faster to update their site(s) if we all contact them and ask the same. Everybody now! 😀

• @dman

Because despite me asking them several times, Creality support still has not updated the download links, here are the 1.0.4 Endstop and BlTouch firmware that they sent me in reply to my support ticket:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pLzVnw2mtbGRQq7m267i4jbUI25G1bBR?usp=sharing

• I would also really like the FW 1.0.4 to work with BLTouch 3.1. I made a separate post about this but no response from Creality.

• Has anybody got the bltouch v3.1 to work with the Ender 6?

And does anybody know where to find the FW v. 1.0.4 that the printer came with?

Of course i would love my printer to be able to work with bltouch v 3.1

But it seems like Creality don't wanna fix the problem, since admin keeps linking to a fw that doesn't work.

Current BL-touch firmware is really still v 1.0.2?
    That's the version that people got working for BL-Touch v3.1?

My Ender-6 was delivered with firmware version 1.0.4.
    In case something goes wrong with that firmware, i want to have a backup of my current firmware.
    But the latest non-BL-Touch firmware on the various creality download sites is only v.1.0.1.

@admin rather than post files in this forum, can you also please arrange to update download site with newest non-BL-Touch firmware (at least v.1.0.4)?

thanks!

I second this. I "upgraded" to the bltouch and firmware version 1.0.2 and my prints are now significantly worse. The benchie I printed with the 1.0.4 firmware is nearly flawless and has next to no stringing. With the "new" firmware I have stringing everywhere. It is a significant step backwards from the "old" firmware the printer came with. At this point I would take the bltouch off and go back to the original firmware if I could because the print quality was just that much better.

• @Etienne the only way we got it back to working was to remove the bl-touch and put the 1.0.1 bin back on.

• @Etienne said in Firmware for Ender 6 to support BL touch V3.1:

@admin hi, I have installed BLTouch, but the printer not work correctly, many problems with the Z-axis.. for example, if I turn off the printer, and put the bed lower, the printer start with x260 y260 z0 and with disabled steppers.. when you go to settings and want to move, printer is not able to move because the x260 y260 z0.. for example, if you want move Z it can't because printer think Z=0 and if you want move Z down, it's not able to reach 400mm, printer started making an annoying noise and stop.

another problem.. start print, printer heats up and start bed leveling, after leveling noting happened.. status bar goes to 100% and you can only click on finish print..

We are fighting with the same issue. We installed the Ender-6-V1.0.2-BLTouch.bin and it didn't fix the Z-axis issues. Is there a way to put the default firmware back on?

• Current BL-touch firmware is really still v 1.0.2?
    That's the version that people got working for BL-Touch v3.1?

My Ender-6 was delivered with firmware version 1.0.4.
    In case something goes wrong with that firmware, i want to have a backup of my current firmware.
    But the latest non-BL-Touch firmware on the various creality download sites is only v.1.0.1.

@admin rather than post files in this forum, can you also please arrange to update download site with newest non-BL-Touch firmware (at least v.1.0.4)?

thanks!

Copyright © 2020 Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.