For people reading this.
I found my issue to be the hardware version.
I have a a new Ender3V2 assuming I had the hardware version 4.2.7
I installed BL touch with Hw ver 4.2.7 Everything broke. I went removed Bl Touch
Re flashed with 4.2.7 hw fw still broke.
Went to stock fw from factory on whim noted it was for aware 4.2.2.
Motors all OK.
Updated to latest fw on hw ver 4.2.2 levelled bed and benchy is on his way.
As a side note I dod note a weird noise from the z Axis motor that didn't happen on my first failed print. The clasp was too close to the motor and was rubbing. Moved it up 5mm. All good.