Ender 3 neo max firmware will not update

I have had my Ender 3 Neo max for about a month and a half. About 3 weeks ago I got an issue with the z axis not going downward. I reached out to customer service for assistance and flashed the firmware. The instructions were not very clear for a beginner so I went to you tube. I used the firmware that Creality recommended with no improvement. I then went to bye next newer firmware and flashed the printer and screen. Now when turning it on it still has the z axis issue but in addition the Creality startup screen does not go off but shows the bottom three lines of temp, fan, etc readings.

Any advice?

Hi @Jason_Burns and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you are struggling to understand the firmware updating process.

It sounds like either the mainboard or screen update didn’t complete correctly.

Here is the “How To” when it comes to flashing firmware on the Ender 3 Neo Max, this example refers to the Ender 3-Max Neo-Marlin2.0.8.3-HW-V4.2.2-SW-V1.4.1_C-20221020 firmware.

Display firmware update:
    1. Format the TF card on the computer side, and select 4096 for the allocation unit size.
    2. Put the file "private"and "firmware.zlib"into the TF card.
    3. Turn off the printer and insert the TF card into the card slot on the back of the screen.
    4. Reboot and wait for the update to finish.
    5. After finishing the update, remove the TF card and delete the files inside.

Mainboard firmware update:
   1. Format the TF card on the computer side, and select 4096 for the allocation unit size.
   2. Put the firmware file "V1.4.1_C.bin" into the root directory of TF card.
   3. Turn off the printer and insert the TF card into the card slot on the motherboard.  
   4. Reboot and wait for the update to finish.
   5. After finishing the update, remove the TF card from the motherboard slot and delete the bin file inside.

Hope that helps explain the firmware update process.

Hello,
I actually have the same issue described above and followed the same steps provided by Nikoli. I actually have two Ender 3 Neo Max. One accepts the firmware update while the other does not. I’ve noticed that even though they are the same model they have two different mother boards in the screen.

Usually the differences can be found by looking at the mainboard in the printer, there are 2 models of board and there are also 2 variants of each of the boards so you would ideally need to find out the version of your mainboard and also which chip the mainboard has onboard. It will either be an STM chip or GD chip.

Nikoli, thanks for the response. Do the two variants require different firmware? If so, is there a resource to identify which firmware is needed for the different boards?

Yes there are different firmwares for different boards and different chips.

If you check which board you have and which chip is on the board we will be able to point you in the right direction for the correct firmware.

Thanks Nikoli,
I finally got a chance to look at the board and the chip I have is a GD (GD32F303RET6AUJ0481AJ2218 GigoDevice ARM). If you could point me to the best firmware for this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I would recommend using the one from here as this should be the correct one for your printer…

Ender Series Firmware

Scroll the page and expand the Ender-3 Max Neo section and you should see the following…

This worked. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Glad to hear it worked for you! Happy printing! :slight_smile:

so i did this with my max neo now it dosnt push the bed forward at the end of a print also did a print the other day and it only printed part of it and up to the hight of the shourtest part ??

this is where things are failing for me, the 4,2,7 board isnt accepting 1.4.1-c firmware, just stuck ringing on a creality screen

That’s because it’s firmware for the 4.2.2 board they have different pin out on the board. Check fb for Nic’s firmware or 3dp rescue I think each have builds made for that config from memory.

I found that I had downloaded the wrong firmware 3 times today.

For 4.2.7 boards with my specific chip It wasn’t 1.4.1-c, wasn’t 1.4.1-G and wasn’t another one I tried that apparently worked for everyone else.

I found the firmware I needed on all3dp under the max Neo page software.

I did get one version to work but the homing was obsolete and the printer couldn’t do anything.
From there I trailed others troubleshooting the same issue and found what I needed.

If anyone else tried everything let me know and I’ll link the firmware I used, I can’t think of it currently, been a long day haha.

Hi mate you are misunderstanding

All those firmwares that are on the site are for the original hard and will cause problems on the board you have in your printer

Try building your own this is a good guide with half done files

Or as I said in my previous post. 3DP rescue and Nic printer firmware on FB make good builds if they don’t already have what you need they will build it for you