Extruder Issues

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all having a good day. I wanted to share a problem I’ve been experiencing with my printer for the past three months and see if anyone can offer some helpful guidance.

Basically, the issue is that my printer gets jammed after printing for a while, but I can’t seem to find the cause. I’ve checked axis calibration, the level of the heated bed, and the extruder, but none of these steps have resolved the problem.

I’ve also tried changing the settings in an attempt to fix it, but unfortunately, it hasn’t worked.

I’ve attached some photos as examples. The last photo shows the expected print, although I didn’t print it myself.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice you can offer to help solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Try a different filament?
Make sure the filament is dry and try again.
If the settings are all dialed in for the device the feed stock is likely most common issue.

I’ve had the same. It’s a fault in the latest firmware. Doing certain things seems to reset drive to the extruder stepper. With the heater running, you will notice you can easily manually move the wheel at the top of the extruder and squeeze out some plastic. If the stepper were being driven this would be very hard to do. It does the same with the heater too. I even bought a new stepper and new heater. I then measured the current to the heater and found that it drops to zero (and the driver for the motor turns off) during printing.
I’ve not had time to see if this is repeatable 100% of the time, but it seems you can trigger this from power-on if you do the manual preheat for PLA function. It seems when I do that the extruder stepper becomes un-driven.
Fairly sure this is not some underhanded way to try and ‘break’ printers to ensure we replace our printers.
I can’t repeat it here now as I’ve put a Sonic Pad in, and that replaces the printer’s firmware - but that has it’s own issues… Hence why I came here in the first place…

1 Like