Hotend problems after fan short circuit

Hi guys,

I’m hoping to get some ideas/advice on the problem I have been brilliant enough to create for myself.

Just assembled my new Ender 5 Plus and started a testprint.
Everything went well until I realized the nozzle fan isn’t working (first several layers already printed). My first guess was the connector so I wanted to make sure it sits tight but I did it so hard and awkwarldy I pushed the needle pins out through the back of connector and caused a beautiful sparky shortcircuit.
I quickly turned off the machine, fixed the problem and turned it on to check for damages.

In the begining nothing seemed to have happened, the machine asked if I want to resume the print, so cliked OK but I saw that the nozzle temperature was 124 / 0 degrees and continue going down. I went on to adjust the nozzle temp to override that strange 0 degrees, the temp rose and the print resumed.
Unfortunately no extrusion took place.

Checked everthing again, inculding the extruder but obviously it was the hotend/termistor that was failing.
I took everything apart, to check if any resistors have not been burned but eveyrhing seems OK.

I connected a brand new hotend/termistor and happily saw it working - the filament flew so I started another print. Unfortunately not even the first layer was done - again the hot end doesn’t get the rigth temperature (screen shows it does).

It’s not like there is zero heating. I tested the temp with a probe and it shows about 100 degrees when set on 260 on display. Also, when I start heating the nozzle the the temp on the screen goes super fast in increments of about 15-20 degrees per 2 seconds so it literally looks like the computer thinks the nozzle is 200 degrees when its 100. Just to be sure I also changed the both fans but that didn’t help.

I’ll appreciate any ideas.

I always keep spare heaters and thermistors for my Ender 5 plus. I would swap both out and see what happens. The thermistor is very susceptible to damage by overtightening the location screw, a loose fit rather than pinch tight.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I did - swapped the whole heating block to a brand new hotned/thermistor.
Won’t the problem be connected to the fact the hotend fan doesn’t start when I increase the temperature? Doesn’t that give the thermistor the wrong reading?
Except I also swapped both fans to brand new ones too just in case. Is there any fuse for the fans or any other element on the fan circuit that might need changing? In the end I caused the short circuit on the fan so it would make sense the problem is there.

I don’t recall there being a fuse on my motherboard, I have the silent one (worth the upgrade if haven’t already, the machine is now actually silent apart from the waft of fan noise)

“I did it so hard and awkwarldy I pushed the needle pins out through the back of connector and caused a beautiful sparky shortcircuit.
I quickly turned off the machine, fixed the problem and turned it on to check for damages.” can’t help feeling there is something in this. Probably overkill but whole new loom for £17 (might get a spare myself, last one I bought was £40)

Strip out what you don’t need and replace the loom. You’ve done the fans, heater, thermistor, there is only the loom and motherboard left. Sounds like my Ender 5 plus, think everything has been replaced on that.

OK, thanks, will try that and share the results.

Everyone’s talking about changing the motherboard to to silent one - am I the only one actually enjoying the cosmic sounds coming out of the printer? :slight_smile:
To be true though I keep my printer in an enclosure in the office and it mostly runs at night so I don’t have to put up with the sounds more than I want :slight_smile:

mine is right next to my PC, yes I do like the whirring but after a while of trying to concentrate on a new design it gets a little jarring. Can’t hear any stepper motors now, just the fans, I’ve replaced the motherboard/PSU fans for quiet ones, did manage to squeeze a 120mm fan into the PSU. Will eventually change the hotend fans. Apart from fan noise you wouldn’t know it is running. The V3 SE beside it is really noisy though, zip zip zip.