Ki max - ai lidar calibration failure

Hi all

Purchased my K1 MAX about three weeks ago. I am new to 3D printing. Setup went OK and I have downloaded a number of models and successfully printed them.

However, if I click the Print calibration box when it comes to laser calibration it fails with the error #Key506 AI laser calibration failure.

As a newbie please can anyone tell me if there is a way to solve this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Creality forum… :upside_down_face:

As a new K1 Max owner myself you might write to cs@Creality.com with all your purchase information, serial # and picture of the error on the screen. They will ask for that anyways and see what they suggest.

As far as that error goes I am not sure what it means. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

While you are waiting for Creality support to answer you could try a couple things:

On my K1 Max I have turned the settings off for the Lidar function in the options. See if that works…
Also as a last resort carefully unplug the Lidar from the side of the extruder and see if that fixes it.

Thank you for your reply.

I will contact Creality support as you suggest.

I am happy to wait for a response from cs before investigating myself as at present it is having no impact on my ability to print or the quality of the printed models.

Error 506 simply returns “unknown error” so very little help there!

Thank you again.

Sometimes sending a message about an issue on this forum to:

@CREALITY or @Collin

will get an answer also.

Hi Jim

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I used the chat bot to try and contact CS and found out what error 506 means. This is what the bot returned:

"The problem is from lidar is failed to detect the white sticker on the left of the bed without pausing.

please make sure the sticker is without any defect and check if the lidar is working properly.

And clean the lens on the lidar, make sure the sticker height level is not far away from the level of the bed.

Please check if the cable of the lidar is properly connected,

Replug if necessary."

It then said someone from CS would contact me. As yet no response.

So this morning I have emailed the store.uk@creality.com (purchased K1 MAX from them) with all the details. I will let you know when I get a reply.

Thank you again for your help.

Paul

After printing started, the screen popped up 506 AI LiDAR calibration failed

Cause analysis

1.There are foreign objects or damaged wrinkles on the calibration sticker
2.The surface of the AI module lens is not clean
3.The height difference between the calibration plate plane and the hot bed platform on the same horizontal plane is large

The AI lidar itself is abnormal

3.Troubleshooting and solution
1.Clean or replace calibration stickers
2.Clean the surface of the AI module lens
3.Adjust the height of the calibration plate
4.Replace the AI module

If you need to replace the AI module, please contact the official after-sales service.

Hi Collin

Thank you for the info.

The calibration sticker is clean and flat although I notices it does not sit square on the calibration plate.

Could this be causing the problem? If so, how do I obtain replacement stickers?

I have looked at the calibration plate but cannot see any way to adjust the height relative to the hot bed platform. Any help greatly appreciated.

The AI module lens has been carefully cleaned.

It seems to be pointing to a faulty AI LIDAR module.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Paul

The sticker on mine is a little off also. Didn’t get any errors for that though… :face_with_monocle:

Did you solve the problem? Every time I do the calibration I have that same error…

Hi Alex_Mesa

I did eventually solve the problem having tried all the suggestions.

A friend of mine who is a precision engineer checked the level of the label with the hot bed and discovered that the two were not level.

There is no adjustment so we took a chance and manually bent the bracket until we got the two level.

Ran the calibration routine and now it passes every time.

Frustrated that there is no way to adjust the sticker bracket and would have preferred not to resort to manually bending it - but the end result is what matters.

Paul