Modelling software

What’s the best free modelling software to use?

Hello there @Lara,

Welcome to the Official Creality Forum :+1:

It depends on your skill level on which free software to use… As a beginner to using it for 3D printer files I use TinkerCad. It’s not really a modeling software but more so you can learn the basics of modeling and create models.

Others will have some good suggestions here also…

1 Like

There is a handy video made by Michael at Teaching Tech which talks about different softwares which you may find insightful…

Selecting a free 3D CAD option - 3D design for 3D printing

1 Like

I’m looking into this as well. Started with a little a.i. research. I tried fusion 360 the other night. I liked all the functionality but it has a learning curve I’m not ready to take on. Yet. I did try tinkercad for a bit but it seemed a bit lacking.

For Basic and Educational Purposes

1. Tinkercad
  • Best For: Beginners, educational projects, simple household items.
  • Pros: Extremely easy to use, web-based, good for learning basic concepts.
  • Cons: Limited in terms of advanced functionality, not for complex projects.

For Functional Parts and Tools (Ideal for FDM Printers)

1. FreeCAD
  • Best For: Engineering and technical designs, mechanical parts, functional objects.
  • Pros: Precise parametric modeling, good for creating parts that need to fit together or have specific dimensions.
  • Cons: Steeper learning curve, not ideal for artistic or decorative items.
  1. Fusion 360 (Personal Use License)
  • Best For: Professional-grade design of mechanical parts, tools, and complex assemblies.
  • Pros: Comprehensive design, simulation, and analysis tools. Cloud-based collaboration.
  • Cons: Registration required for free license, may be complex for beginners.
  1. SketchUp Free
  • Best For: Basic to intermediate level designs, home improvement projects, simple tools.
  • Pros: User-friendly, good for architectural and mechanical designs.
  • Cons: Limited features in the free version, not suited for intricate organic shapes.
  1. Onshape
  • Cloud-based, robust for collaborative projects.
  • Advanced version control, precision engineering.
  • Requires internet, free mainly for educational use.

For Decorative and Artistic Objects

1. Blender
  • Best For: Artistic models, sculptures, and complex decorative items.
  • Pros: Advanced features for modeling, texturing, and rendering. Excellent for creative designs.
  • Cons: High learning curve, overkill for simple functional parts.
  1. Sculptris
  • Best For: Organic sculpting, beginner-friendly approach to digital art.
  • Pros: Intuitive sculpting tools, great for characters, creatures, and ornamental designs.
  • Cons: Limited technical modeling tools, discontinued development.
  1. Meshmixer
  • Best For: Sculpting, mashups of existing models, preparing models for 3D printing.
  • Pros: Good for editing and combining models, mesh repair tools.
  • Cons: Less intuitive UI, not for creating models from scratch.
2 Likes

Great video. Thanks for the link

1 Like

Thanks. I’m going to try Onshape and fusion to see how these perform.

Added onshape to the list.

Tinkercad is amazing! I also highly reccomend it for beginners.

That is the problem “Free”
If your serious about your life, the time spent doing ‘stuff’ should take priority, learning takes time, why waste it? Look at the investment in ‘paid’ software as a means to expand while shorting the learning curve considerably. I own CAD/CAM software with complexity that is off the charts, it can do anything many different ways BUT it’s like trying to choose the right font, endless spinning, too many choices.
Look at Plasticity, the best $300 I’ve spent.

I disagree. “Free” is not a problem. It’s simply answering the question. A question that clearly will be commonly asked by those getting into printing as a hobby at a low cost entry level.

Some peoples level of commitment vary depending on their level of interest and intent. Creality appeals to a varying types of customers from varying types of finacial means and intent.

This forum is meant to be of value to all, I would assume. Forums are typically a place to learn and share knowlege. This forum would benifit from a similar type list for the paid software just as well. Perhaps even a list of good free & paid courses for those that want to take their skills a step further or pursue a professional path.

Neither is right or wrong. Just different paths.

2 Likes

You make a valid point. The availability of free resources is indeed crucial for beginners who are exploring 3D printing as a hobby, especially when they are not ready to invest heavily without knowing if they will commit to it long-term. It’s important to cater to the diverse community that Creality and similar platforms serve, which includes individuals with different financial means and levels of interest.

Creating a comprehensive list of both free and paid software, as well as courses, can be beneficial for the community. It would provide options for everyone, from hobbyists to those considering a professional career in 3D printing. This way, the forum can support learning and growth at all levels, helping users to find the right tools and education that match their commitment and financial situation.

1 Like