Newby questions

I did a little reading and dont both of these do basically the same thing? Why does Creality have 2 programs to slice?

Creality Print is Creality’s new slicer which I beleive will in time completely replace Creality Slicer. Due to the advancements in printer capabilities Creality took the decision to create their own slicer rather than fork Cura so that they can ensure their printers work as intended with the slicing software and in turn they can make changes to the slicer as and when needed in theory speeding up the flow of updates :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info Nikoli, I think i will try the Creality Print and see if it helps.

1 Like

You’re welcome @Rick, I would also recommend trying out OrcaSlicer if you havent already done so, its a very good slicer with profiles for the K1 series printers too.

1 Like

Yes, thats the one i am currently using. As you can see above i am struggling with detailed prints. Likely, I dont know what i am doing!

If you have OrcaSlicer setup then I would recommend running through the calibration tests available in the top menu on the slicer. Generally you should only really need to do a temperature tower, flow rate and retraction tests to ensure the printer is extruding the correct amount of filament. If you do want to go a step further you could always run the max flowrate test but that shouldnt really be required. Once you have run through the calibrations you should find your prints will be more accurate and cleaner.

Going to try Orca slicer.

Couldn’t find K1 Max profiles in the other ones.
Creality Print works just fine for my use just want to check other options… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

OrcaSlicer is becoming a very popular slicer in the printing community lately and is very nice to use and has some really cool features too.

Rick,

I have not had great luck with “drying” filament in one of those filament dryers. In most of the pictures I see of them being used to keep filament dry while it is being used. If you look at how it works, it dries the air by heating it, and has a small exhaust fan. To dry filament, I use some fine mesh “goodie bags” with a 1/2 cup of color changing silica gel that I got on Amazon. The gel changes from blue to purple to let you know it is saturated. The gel can be easily recharged in a food dehydrator. I should look into those vacuum bags, but 1 gallon freezer ziplocks have been working ok.

The Kapt

I use a heated dryer and for good measure I throw in a couple of dessicant bags, not had any wet filament problems. And yes I feed the filament direct to the machine from the dryers.

A vacume bag with silica gel won’t dry a wet roll of filament out. It only keeps the humidity down in the bag so the roll won’t get worse. I use those bags for storage and they work great.
Food Storage Vacume Bags

In order to dry out a wet roll of filament you have to use a dryer or dehydrator to dry out the filament. I don’t have a filament dryer so I can’t say how well they work but I use a food dehydrator that holds several rolls and it works great.
As a test you can actually weigh the roll before and after to see how much water was taken out… I don’t have the numbers here but the last time I weighed one was a fresh roll from “Hatchbox” that wouldn’t print at all.
It was definitely wet. Eight hours in the dehydrator at 131°F and it weighed a few grams lighter and printed great.

The dryer that I have also has a hygrometer, currently indicates that my shed is at 80% so that would be pretty damp filament if it werent in the dryer. Plus one for vacuum storage bags, stick a couple of dessicant bags in there too.

That’s pretty high humidity. Does it stay up that high year round…?

I don’t know yet. The shed where the printer lives is at the bottom of the garden, next to woodland so I should imagine it being between 60-80%. My office at work is nowhere near trees, it’s air conditioned and that sits at about 40-50%. This is why I have a dryer on every printer. This is England so pretty damp :wink:

Sounds foggy… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley:

Oh there will be droughts and hosepipe bans in the summer. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Might be in a shed but it prints fine:-

1 Like

Looks good… What are those…? Chess pieces…?

yes that’s the white side. Printed the black side too. Laser cut the squares for the board from 3mm balsa, next is to stick them to a box and donate it to the guys at work. Sorry wildly off topic :smiley:

thanks for the comment. I started using my dryer, because i already had it. i dont really know if it is making a difference. I like the color changing silica, i will look into that. I do keep the filament i am not using in plastic bags. i will admit i dont vacuum seal them. Just put them in and close it. Then they go in a cabinet. I have had better luck on some printing. I think i just have to keep ‘practicing’ on what works best.