Print head suddenly started rubbing on previous layer

Just like the topic says.

Have had the printer a bit over a week and it was printing great at first. Then all of a sudden, every print, around the 4th layer or so, the nozzle rubs on the previous layer as its printing. I have reset the printer, i have completely removed all slicing software and left over files, reinstalled, the issue persists. This has happened on Orca slicer, Cura 5.6, and Creality Print.

I have tightened all screws, checked everything out on the printer, all seems fine.

Any suggestions?

I figured out the problem…

I really like Creality printers, BUT, the quality control is absolutely non existent.
When i got my printer, there were so many loose screws it wasn’t funny, the only reason my heat plate was on, was the magnetic build plate holding it, this time… the hotend screws were so loose it was moving about 3-4 mm as it was printing.

1 Like

Ouch… sorry you had all this trouble but glad you were able to figure it out Mike…!

Welcome to the Creality Forum… Glad you decided to join… Thanks…!!

thanks for the welcome! are there any proper guides to adjusting belt tension? my belts are making odd noises once in a while.

1 Like

Each printer is different but as a general rule when you pluck the belt there should be a low pitched twang. You dont want them too loose that they can skip but you dont want them too tight that they create friction.

Hello, I have exactly the same issue. I was printing over a week with the default settings(180mm/s of Speed, 0.2mm Layer, 10%infill, tree supports etc) getting excellent results, but starting 2 days ago the Printer’s Nozzle starts hitting the Layer and the Supports. Hitting the supports is my main issue since the friction cut down the trees and then the layers got messed up and need to start another print.

I’ve looked at leveling the Bed, Level the Z axis, changing slicer software and now is impossible to print models higher than 5cm or speeds above 80mm/s.

I’m wondering which screws to look and tight or any other ideas because I already wasted 1kg of PLA due to the trees falling down and noozle hitting the surface.

Any hints appreciated.

check the screws under your print surface and then the the cover off the print head and tighten the hotend screws.

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot and come back with the results.

So, all the screws were tight. And my issue persisted, I noticed that the layers were burning down and tips of the trees curling up so the nozzle was hitting everything. Reading about the issue everybody agree that is a cooling issue so I grabbed a lamp to see the cooling fan and yep indeed the fan wasn’t working, removed the extrusion cap and noticed the connector lose so Plug in again and now my material is not burning.

Let’s see if I can print stuff above 10cm without cutting the trees down. I’m starting to think that trees aren’t the best supports a lot of problems with it, if is ot adhesion is the branch to light so it fall down with the minimum contact, sometimes I need to use rafts to give it proper adhesion and strength in the root. I guess I’ll return to normal supports again.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi All,

I seen similar situation when I am printing support free characters. I think the problem for the Ender 3 V3 KE is the high acceleration by default not the speed.

I tried to make bigger brim to stabilize the model and slow down the speed to avoid nut just rubbing but several times the overturn the entire model. I tried decrease speed by levels but that is just minimize, but not solve the issue.
My problem was the Mandalorian character have relative high mass on higher levels meanwhile the legs relative weak. So at higher levels the model start wobble when the X axis (hotbed) quickly change direction. The model is swaying like high tower in the wind.

Increase Z hop height by another 0.1mm? Avoid supports when travelling checked? Will slow the print a bit but should help with clashes.

My printer had the gantry screws out of sync out of the box. I had to manually level the gantry, sync the screws, and adjust the collars on the right screw to eliminate the excess slop. Doing this solved a lot of the problems I was having.

How come no one thinks about over extrusion?
Do you measure your filament size and adjust according in your slicer? Also have you checked you esteps per mm on extruder?
There’s several good articles online about over extrution