RE: V3 KE prints keep failing

My new Ender 3 V3 KE keeps stopping to extrude about half way through the print. The printer is 5 days old. I have tightened all the screws, I am using the Comgrow pla that came with the printer. The print config is normal. I have tried Numerous prints the same problem. Any words of wisdom? I have heard that the extruder has been having issues.

1 Like

When you say “stopping to extrude” do you mean it is clogged or blocked or that the extruder just stops working…?

What are you doing to fix it to try and start the next print…?

What slicer are you using ?

1 Like

I meant it stopped extruding filament but the print head continued on. I had to reinsert the filament, which had clogged the print nozzle. I am using Creality print. I have had 6 failures due to this problem. I printed it again today and it went to completion. I had issues with the corners and some lines were absent on the sides. I am printing a small drawer.

1 Like

What sort of temperatures are you running and have you done any calibration tests to ensure the filament is being extruded correctly? I would recommend doing at minimum a temperature tower test, flow rate test and also a retraction test as these 3 will usually result in cleaner prints and also less chance of jams or clogs.

1 Like

My temperatures are 200 and 210. I don’t know how to do the flow rate test and retraction test. I have printed the tower and 210 to 220 look good. I did noticed a clicking loud when my extruder skipped a line in the print. So I tightened the adjustment screw. I am printing my model now.

1 Like

If you can send a pic of how the first layer is doing on your current print…?

1 Like

I am guessing you will be using Creality Print…

To do the calibration tests click on the Calibration button on the top of the Creality Print slicer and you should see a selection of tests and also a link to the tutorial which should help explain how each test works. When doing the flow rate tests be sure to do both and be sure to follow the tutorial on how to determine the correct results from each test. You will also find the retraction test in the same Calibration menu :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I will after the current model is finished.
So far I have not been having mid-print failures. I had been having curling on the corners, but I added a brim to the print and on this print it is not an issue.

2 Likes

Could be the extruder is a little too tight, if it’s too tight and you have big retractions it can wear through the filament. Decrease the retraction distance to about 0.8-1.0mm and loosen the adjustment screw.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try.

If you retract the filament and you can feel deep ridges it is too tight.

1 Like

Currently I am using the default settings. 5 mm. So I should reduce it to 1mm?

1 Like

I would set it to 1mm yes, I generally use 0.8 but that is just me. Don’t know why the default is so high. Had it that high, by default on another printer (snapmaker) and it would often clog. At least worth a try.

edit maximum retraction count is often too high at a default of 100, take that down to 20-25, perhaps even less.

1 Like

I tried it on the pyramid model and it came out perfectly. I left it at the default speed of .25. Do you think if I increase the printer speed to 200 instead of the default of 50 that would make an impact on the model?

1 Like

Perhaps smaller increments. Have you printed the Benchy on the memory stick, the 15 minute one? I get an almost perfect one. Sounds like you are making progress which is good.

1 Like

As you can see by the pictures the walls and edges printed near perfect. Over the past 3-4 days the bottom corners have started to curl. I added a a brim to this model and it did not help.Out of the box I no issues with adhesion. The material temp is 200 C and the bed is the default of 60C. Any thoughts?

Thanks

1 Like

Looks like that could be too much heat, 60C is the glass transition temperature of PLA try lowering bed temperature.

Printing it at 55C now.

1 Like

50-55C is what I use. Did try 45C and it came off while printing, might have worked with gluestick, not tried.

1 Like