Retraction problem with ender 3 v3 se and sonic pad?

hi guys

after numerous trials and tests, I have an anomaly on the my ender 3 v3 if after installing the sonic pad. I think it’s a retraction problem, but it appears randomly during my prints. I use pla+ from elegoo and mold at 205 degrees with the plate at 60 degrees. as you can see from the photos, the wolf was printed without defects. in some prints, it happens that bubbles come out on the base of the miniature, while in the worst case, as in the photo, the surface of the miniature is rough as if the nozzle had scraped off the excess extruded surface. how can I solve it??

update: i have try pressure advance test with orca slicer and this is the result:

update: i increase pla temp to 210" and i print a good test table. i find 0,07 value for pressure advance… the problem continue…

You might find that your filament is damp and is causing air bubbles and slight over extrusion. I would recommend drying your filament to see if that cures the issue. You may also find that when it comes to miniatures you may get better results with a smaller nozzle.

I also changed filament and the problem persists. I currently use a 0.4 nozzle and the problem occurs a few times when printing the same model. sometimes it comes out well, other times it bubbles or the surface of the base is scraped and not smooth. This afternoon I also carried out the step/mm test and corrected the value on the sonic pad from 7.53 to 7.60 (1mm margin of error), but nothing. It makes me think it’s a prtouch problem

If it was a probe issue you would see inconsistencies in the first layer.

You may wish to change your infill to something like gyroid as this may also help.

regarding the first level I continually find myself correcting the zoffset almost with every print. If I print an object now with a perfect first layer, it may happen that the next one has a first layer that doesn’t adhere well right away and I have to correct and repeat the print. this happens often, but usually when the photo defect occurs, the first layer has no major problems

This is a discontinued print that had a perfect first layer. It printed well for several layers and at one point it started to overextrude and scratch the surface. I repeated the print twice, always with the same result.

EDIT: after finding perfect settings with which I printed several miniatures, I noticed that the problem in the photo appears randomly. same settings with which it usually prints everything perfectly. after several failed attempts, I turned the sonic pad and the printer off and on again several times and received an error. everything started again after restarting klipper and the firmware from the sonic pad settings. once the system was restarted, the previously failed print file started without any problem, printing miniatures with smooth and perfect bases. it’s a random problem

Z hop between layers? Doesn’t always work but help.

man i use z hop…this is the same file with same settings 100%. I turned the sonic pad off and on again several times after it started printing badly. initially there were always some errors, after restarting from the sonic pad klipper menu and the firmware it starts again. I start the print and it comes out perfect. it’s a random problem…the first layers of printing come out perfect before it starts to give problems. I’ve had this problem since using sonic pad.

edit: the error are 1 or 298 in sonic pad when i restart printer and the pad.

1 Like

in this video you can see the problem with y axes motor ( we speak about it in closed topic). the problem persist only with sonic pad (sorry in the video i speak in italian with a friend)

yesterday i write a mail to cs@creality.com. i hope in a resolution answer for all problems…

I have make new test:

this is my start gcode:

M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate

M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate

M140 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;Set final bed temp

G28 ;Home

BED_MESH_CALIBRATE

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up

M104 S[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] ;Set final nozzle temp

G1 X-2.0 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position

M190 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;Wait for bed temp to stabilize

M109 S[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] ;Wait for nozzle temp to stabilize

G1 X-2.0 Y145.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line

G1 X-1.7 Y145.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little

G1 X-1.7 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

G1 E-0.2000 F1800 ;Retract a bit

G1 E0.0000 F1800

This is my end gcode:

G91 ;Relative positionning

G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit

G1 E-2 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z

G1 X5 Y5 F3000 ;Wipe out

G1 Z5 ;Raise Z more

G90 ;Absolute positionning

G1 X2 Y200 F3000 ;Present print

M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan

M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend

M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed

M84 X Y E ;Disable all steppers but Z

as you can see, I inserted the BED_MESH_CALIBRATE command into my gcode so that the calibration test is run on every print. let’s start with the first:

the previous zoffset stopped working after calibrating the bed, so I decided to adjust it to +0.15 during printing in order to improve the print level as in the photo in the final part. I subsequently started a new print after interrupting this one of the photo. the machine checked the mesh again and this is the result with the same zoffset that I had corrected by hand:

I don’t think comments or explanations are needed for this photo. the correct zoffset should have printed the first layer correctly. I turn off the printer and the sonic pad. I launch a new print with a new mesh calibration. the zoffset is always the same. here is the result:

this time the first layer is almost perfect, but in the top right you can see how the second layer starts to be printed with an excess of extrusion, as if the offset is lower than the first layer.

when this problem occurs, the end result is the same as the photo posted previously days ago

edit: i have video with 0.12mm print. square 150x150x0.2mm. bad secondo layer and perfect first layer: https://youtube.com/shorts/_N415RszHxM?si=vxPQjtd8N3ETMorX

I’m just curious to know if your GCode has already the

M420 S1

To use the mesh of your bed. If so then seems like klipper is too young for this printer. I’ve seen some posts in reddit about this model and klipper complaining about the z offset and there is only one GitHub repo maintained that implements z offset for this printer.

i don’t need M420 S1 because i calibrate the mesh for every print. this is my start gcode:

M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate
M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate

M140 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;Set final bed temp
G28 ;Home
BED_MESH_CALIBRATE

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
M104 S[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] ;Set final nozzle temp
G1 X-2.0 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
M190 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] ;Wait for bed temp to stabilize
M109 S[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] ;Wait for nozzle temp to stabilize
G1 X-2.0 Y145.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
G1 X-1.7 Y145.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
G1 X-1.7 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
G1 E-1.0000 F1800 ;Retract a bit
G1 E0.0000 F1800

this is my bad mesh:

i have buy the sonic pad because creality release official profile for this printer…but don’t work…is unstable… now I have spent 300 euros on a useless printer and sonic pad…bad quality products

Got a Sonic Pad with a V3 SE and an Ender 5 plus. Fitted a camera which made it really unstable. Got anything odd connected to the USB?

Yes i have an usb webcam for remote control.

I had a “generic” webcam connected, caused all sorts of crashes and problems. Disconnected it and no more crashes.

My crash in only when i touch usb cable for error. Usually the webcam work fine

Something sounds dodgy there my friend.

I tried unplugging the webcam to test your theory. obviously it didn’t solve the problem. first two layers of printing perfect, on the third a rough and irregular surface started to emerge…

Too low on the Z perhaps? Not enough Z hop?